Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • WAHT? Pinning wrong for three years??? >
  • WAHT? Pinning wrong for three years???

• WAHT? Pinning wrong for three years???

Old 01-01-2014, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by kristakz
    I pin with the head of the pin on the left - how I was taught by mother way back. Head on the left, and cross the seam with the entry and exit points. Of course, she's left-handed (I'm right). But I think, based on responses I've seen here, that the majority who learned to sew clothing were taught to pin left-to-right, regardless of handedness. In reality, I seldom pin. But when I do it makes sense to me to keep the pins on the left - I can pin the bulk of the fabric without worrying about trying to cross that little 1/4" seam - and then the pins are completely out of the way of the needle.
    I've never had a formal sewing lesson in my 67 years. But my mom pinned with the head to the right and I guess that is why I do it that way.

However, for me, pulling the upcoming pins with my right hand is far easier than the other way around. So, I don't much care what works for someone else.
    Old 01-01-2014, 08:22 AM
    Power Poster

I'm a leftie, and I do it either way. Whatever works for the project. I usually use silk pins too. I have good results.
    Old 01-01-2014, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by ube quilting
    Hey Suesew, I do it just like you. I do't pull my pins out all the way either until I am done sewing the seam. I place the pin so I can pull it just out of the way of the needle, wow! I find there is less shifting of the two fabrics. We left handers think alike!
    peace
    Ditto I also find myself pinning as the 2 of you do -- I say if it works & your blks & quilts turn out good go for it!
    We lefties need to stand together. I will say I have taken to using the Clover clips for binding to keep from sticking myself.
    Old 01-01-2014, 09:09 AM
    Power Poster

I pin the same way you do, guess I can give this method a try and see which I like the best.
    Old 01-01-2014, 09:18 AM

I am right handed and do it like the video, my mom is left handed and she puts her pins in with the heads facing left. It works for her and mine works for me. So find what works for you.
    Old 01-01-2014, 09:23 AM

That is how my mother taught me almost 50 years ago. I have been using that method and teaching that method ever since. Also what she says about not sexing over the pins is very important.
    Old 01-01-2014, 09:40 AM

I'm self taught. I jam the pins in every which way. As long as the fabric doesn't move I'm happy. I am learning to keep the head of the pin pointed away from the needle so I can remove it when I get close though. I may check the video out. There's a lot I need to learn.
    There really is no "right" or "wrong" way to do things. It's whatever works best for that situation. 1/4 inch seams aren't a rule carved in stone. It's just something that works "best". You don't need more than 1/4" to hold the seams together and it's an easy measurement to remember. In Europe it's probably either 1/2 or 1 cm that's standard.

Roserips: Hi neighbor! In board terms we're almost next door.
    Rodney
    Old 01-01-2014, 11:18 AM

I pin the way the instructor demonstrates in the video. Easier to pull the pins out as I am right-handed.
    Old 01-01-2014, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Misty's Mom
    I pin the same as you. I'm a lefty too and it just makes sense to have the pin positioned so that I can remove it before it gets to the needle.
    I think it is a leftie thing. I could not pull the pin out with my right hand as easily as with my left. Just makes sense to me. I did figure out why I still put the pins in my mouth when I take them out.........my hand can always find my mouth!
    Old 01-01-2014, 12:46 PM

I pin like you do, from left to right, and pull the pin out of the left side as I sew. I am left handed and have always done it this way without problems. I think we should do what is comfortable for us and also what works best for each of us. Maybe there is no right or wrong!