Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Wait lists - What to do when you're in demand >
  • Wait lists - What to do when you're in demand

• Wait lists - What to do when you're in demand

Old 05-17-2017, 02:21 AM

Our guild grew, and we moved to a new location which happens to have better parking. It's been great!
    Old 05-17-2017, 03:44 AM

We have a limit of 300 in our guild. There are usually 40-50 on our waiting list every year. Generally most people make it the following year due to people moving, death etc. We never have a full house at any given meeting, but we have to be able to accommodate the entire membership due to our bylaw's. It does enable us to have wonderful National teachers almost monthly, and a great Quilt Show every other year!
    Old 05-17-2017, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer23
    Would it be possible to split into two sections: maybe an afternoon group and an evening group? Then you could meet at the same place, just at different times. The logistics of this would depend on what you do at your meetings, but it would give more people a chance to get involved.

If I was put on a waiting list at a guild, I would feel rejected, and go looking for a different group to join. A waiting list also sounds like a management/policy headache.
    When I lived in the SF Bay Area, the guild I belonged to held their meetings at 2 different times. They alternated between day and evening meetings, so 6 months of day (even months) and 6 months of night (odd months). It worked pretty well since most people worked. I don't believe we had a waiting list.
    Old 05-17-2017, 07:49 PM
    Power Poster

a guild by me had a mailing list that they would send their monthly newsletter to. If you were on the list, you got first pick to be in the guild. after a few years, they moved to a bigger location and others were invited to join.
    Old 05-19-2017, 07:43 AM

This is not the greatest of ideas. The meetings would not be the same. Memberships grown and learn from the comments of others. Although comfortable with location and amenities, I would look for a location that could house the entire membership.
    Old 05-19-2017, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by SewHooked
    This is not the greatest of ideas. The meetings would not be the same. Memberships grown and learn from the comments of others. Although comfortable with location and amenities, I would look for a location that could house the entire membership.
    our guild of 190 has a daytime meeting and repeats with a nighttime meeting for those that work. Yes, there is a difference in the tone of each meeting--but as a guild everyone is getting the same program, same workshops and same information. Obviously the nite folks don't go out to lunch later in the day, but they are a more casual group and have developed closeness too. Both groups engage in about the same proportions in guild activities. So yes, it can work and ours is not due to size limits, but rather a desire to let quilters that work outside the home (or have small children that they need to be home with)a chance to participate and enjoy the programs.