Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Wal Mart Fabrics >
  • Wal Mart Fabrics

• Wal Mart Fabrics

Old 08-11-2010, 09:41 AM

Ok, does anyone know what in heck is going on? The Wal Mart near work got in the precut/prepackaged fabrics a few months ago or so---layout was nice, they had kits, fat quarters, jelly rolls, groupings, etc. When I went to get laundry stuff yesterday, I went by the area again and it was being taking off the set up. A lot of them have been marked down for clearance and some were up in the clearance section and there has been no restocking at all.
    Are they now getting rid of those too, or have they finally got tired of all of us griping and are going to go back to a fabric dept.? I am so fed up with them. I have heard that they are slowly, secretly raising their prices to compensate for a slow year last year. If anyone knows what is going on, sure would like to know. Am emailing home office---will let you know what I find out.
    Old 08-11-2010, 09:47 AM

I really don't know what's going on there. I WON'T SHOP THERE! But I am curious as to what's going on. So I can't wait to hear from y'all.
    Old 08-11-2010, 09:59 AM

Not much fabric left in the Walmart closest to me & the prices are too high for the quality of the fabric. Got some Pellon for a Bow Tucks bag & sales person thinks the dept. will be gone soon.
    Old 08-11-2010, 10:08 AM

We just have a few FQ's and charm packs
    But after last week I won't shop at ours either!
    picked up a desk lamp for my son every tag on the shelves said $9 and their were 3-4 styles and a large number of each.
    when we checked out it rang up $14.97! I complained and they sent someone back to check- he came back with a different style lamp and said no the one I had was $14.97 and this style was $9 so paid the higher price.
    Well the next evening we are back( my bank is in the walmart) and walk by the same isle. my lamp marked $9 his $5! So I am already PO'd! then I get the conditioner I always buy and the shelf stickers all say $3.97 for this brand( used to be $5) so I think I got a deal!
    Well it rang up $5.97!
    they refused to give it to me for the shelf price!
    Now I just wonder how many other things I have overpaid for in the last few weeks. As I usually buy alot and don't watch what price is being rung up!
    Old 08-11-2010, 10:16 AM

I had the opposite experience this a.m. as I purchased a mens Faded Glory shirt. Sign said $12.00, but I was only charged $9.00
    Old 08-11-2010, 10:18 AM

Just saw on line this morning that WM prices are going up - no wonder - seems the customer service has become a thing of the past and they could be losing customer right and left - I have not gone to our wm in well over twomonths.
    Old 08-11-2010, 10:25 AM

Have you noticed that they are switching to all Walmart brands now as they replace items.

By the way, the prepackaged fabric is a lot stiffer, too.
    Old 08-11-2010, 10:36 AM

My local Wal-Mart still has a full fabric department, but the quality/selection is going down while the prices go up. One day I fully expect for the fabric department to be gone...they wanted to get rid of it two years ago and people protested, but I don't think Wal-Mart execs get it! I only shop there for fabric and craft supplies, if the store loses that then they lose me as a customer! :thumbdown:
    Old 08-11-2010, 11:18 AM

the only thing I buy at WM is canning supplies that the local hardware store doesn't carry. I shop at Costco for a lot of other things. for fabric, it's the surviving LQS and JoAnns when I'm not buying online.
    Old 08-11-2010, 05:01 PM

It's a shame that corporate doesn't realize what we as consumers are looking for is not the latest trendy junk, but stuff we can actually use! And can count on finding the next time we're in the store... Seems like everything is a special one time big quantity purchase and when that batch is gone, oh well...
    Our local office supply store caught on and stocked up on school supplies so that when Wally World ran out we could still have some to sell, and at a price lower than what we would pay from our wholesaler.