Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Wal-Mart stores closing Fabric Dept. >
  • Wal-Mart stores closing Fabric Dept.

• Wal-Mart stores closing Fabric Dept.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:56 PM

I too, would be disappointed if WM closed down their fabric department. I usually shop at JoAnne's when there are sales, but there are times when I can find items I like more at WM. I will be interested in seeing if the new WM store (that will only be about 4 miles from me) will have a fabric department. It is supposed to be a super WM, so it should have a fabric department if they are even considering keeping any around. Guess this is a "to be continued" story - about 3 months I think.
    Old 06-18-2007, 02:24 PM

if you don't normally buy so much as a spool of thread from WM, but care about those for whom it's WM fabric or nothing, do the same ... write, call, nag, and buy a little something (use it for quilts to donate to charity) as a show of solidarity and support for the cause.
    I'm with you Patrice! I don't usually buy at WM - due to several problems with them in the past (including the time the mgr-on-duty practically hollered that they couldn't take my check because I had bounced a check! Which I hadn't done! :thumbdown: GRrrrr!) Anyway, I will go once a month, if only for philanthropy quilts.

sue
    Old 06-18-2007, 03:16 PM

I had to go to WM this morning for a particular fabric choice for a customer (WM is the only one that carries it) and they happened to be having their dept. manager morning meeting around the cutting table. Well, as I was having all of my fabric cut in between the big wigs, one of them said hi to me. At that point I turned around and made my point---I told all of them if they close this particular fabric dept. I will no longer shop at WM-PERIOD. Well, imagine the surprised looks on their faces. As I gathered all my fabric, I looked at them and said I was dead serious, I can do all my shopping somewhere else! None of them said a word, cause I think I shocked them!!! They all had that same look!!! I turned my cart around and continued on with my shopping. I've had to chuckle all day thinking about the way they all looked!!!
    Old 06-18-2007, 04:22 PM
    JS

Hey Triciasquilts. Congratuations !!!! I am proud of you. That is something I can see myself doing ...given the chance.
    Jean
    Old 06-18-2007, 05:43 PM

YEAH TRICIASQUILTS! You go girlfriend!!! I don't think I could have kept my mouth shut either and I am SO GLAD you were there at the right time!
    Old 06-18-2007, 06:14 PM

Thank you, thank you. I am taking my bow!!!!! I just couldn't walk away without saying something. I feel for everyone out there that has lost their fabric dept. for "party" depts.
    Old 06-19-2007, 04:08 AM

Triciasquilts, you have inspired me to do the same thing if luck shines on me and I am at the fabric department the same time department bigwigs are there. Every time I am there, I have to hunt high and low for any lowly sales associate to just cut my fabric so the chances of someone higher up in the chain of command being in the fabric department are next to none.
    Old 06-19-2007, 04:44 AM

It was also kind of funny when I had my bolts in my arms, one of the bigwig managers started taking them so she could cut my fabric. It looked like she had never done it before, (she was trying to provide her best customer service). I pulled back and said "no, I would rather have the lady who works in this dept. cut my fabric!" I know all these ladies that work there very well and would only trust them to know what they are doing. And I don't want them to lose their jobs. Nuf said!!!!!!!!
    Old 06-19-2007, 05:00 AM

Just came from WM I don't know why I go there! Well they remodled everything. moved it all around and layed hardwood floors!
    they moved the scrapbooking stuff to where they have greeting cards.
    there are no more notions.
    forget the quilters, what about the person who just wants a spool of thread to sew that button on.
    Donna
    Old 06-19-2007, 05:59 AM

Wow there is a lot of opinion on this thread!

I shop at Walmart almost exclusively because of being able to get just about everything in one place and the prices. Personally, I am not impressed with the quality of their fabrics for quilts.

Walmart, like every other corporation is not run by people who make their own clothes. They probably don't even go shopping for themselves. So the person who likes or needs to sew is an alien idea to them. I doubt they will keep fabric departments open unless it really hurts their bottom line more than 2%. That's just how it goes. We have to move on and find other places to meet our needs.

Also, I wanted a Walmart wind breaker jacket last fall, but the tag said it was made in Afghanistan, and I put it back. I was really mad that they would buy from that, or any middle-eastern country during this time of war.

I think if you have a good fabric store in your area, you should do your part to keep it in business (as much as is reasonable for your budget.) I know that the one in my area, which is a well kept secret, would devastate the local quilters if it went out of business. They have special discounts the first half of every month for one particular color, and also discount to quilt guild members.

We have to appreciate JoAnn's or Ben Franklin's or whatever we have, and maybe write them thank you letters so they don't get the same idea as WalMart and Hancock's.

Shop for fabric online. I have found the fabrics to be just as good as quilt shops and less expensive. They also have return policies if I don't like it when it arrives.

We do have lots of options, with computers available and the mail. And if you live far from a good fabric shop, maybe your friends/guild members could organize a carpool trip and make a ladies day out?