Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Wal-Mart stores closing Fabric Dept. >
  • Wal-Mart stores closing Fabric Dept.

• Wal-Mart stores closing Fabric Dept.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:28 AM

Because of my business, I shop at all available places to buy fabric. Even my small independent quilt shops. I spend about $200-$300 per week on fabric, so I really need a variety. I want to support each and every one of these places in my area. I personally know all the employees in each store, and have become good friends with each and every one of them. A few have become good customers of mine.
    I also do alot online too. So I do support everyone, from the conglomerate to the small little store. And they all support me in whatever way they can.
    Old 06-19-2007, 07:33 AM

I do support Quilt shops. we have so many and they are all different the quality is there and so is inspiration. i can make it a day or even an exciting road trip going to a shop. I just don't get inspired at walmart. Donna
    Old 06-19-2007, 08:15 AM

LoL triciasquilts! Excellent!

Whatever the topic was when you got there, you can be sure they were talking about what you said after you left, and they really should. I would love to know what they're thinking, to shut down the fabric dept. Why not just scale them down, if costs are an issue? Carry a little less variety, rather than get rid of it altogether :(

I used to shop at WalMart a lot, but after Sam Walton passed away, the quality of many things I was buying (clothes, shoes, fabric) went downhill. Other stuff stayed OK for the most part, but then they stopped carrying some of the better-quality brands of home stuff, replacing it with not-so-great stuff.

Not one to get into the political discussion about imports/exports, and with no offense or grief against imported goods, I do miss the days when there were big, proud "Made in America" signs all over WalMart. Things were a bit more expensive, relatively, but I was ok with that.

Just my 2c
    Crystal

---
    [---------------------------------------------------------------------]
    2007 FABRIC POSTCARD CONTEST
    http://www.artcardideas.com/
    Multiple entries accepted, deadline August 1
    Prizes for the top 10 cards. Spread the word!
    Old 06-19-2007, 08:23 AM

I know it's not of real importance, and it's great that the quilt shops get supported. But the whole point is , Walmart has fabric that is afforable, for SOME people that can not afford quilt shop prices. I honestly can say, I have yet to find a quilt shop where I could afford their prices. I just don't think I'm the only person that has this problem.
    Old 06-19-2007, 09:45 AM

I agree, Wal-Mart has affordable fabrics. Some are name brands that I have seen in Hancock.
    I also agree with supporting locally owned business. I try to do part of my grocery shoppping at IGA because too many of them have closed because everyone goes to the Big stores. They are locally owned, and if I were in business, I sure would like the local people to support me. But with quilt shops, I have no idea what their mark-up is, and I don't go there myself because I don't want to spend a fortune for quilts I donate to charity.

While those manangers were listening to your comments, they are caught in a place where they probably have absolutely no decision making advanage over anyone else. Decisions to close the fabric departments were not made in local stores. It was a corporate decision.

In one recently remodeled Wal-Mart, the fabric dept was made smaller and the mgr told me they must cover 3 other department, which are no longer close to the fabric dept. They spend their time running from place to place and probably don't get a lot done. Surely it is not their fault that they are not in fabrics just waiting for a customer.

One fabric mgr told me her store would keep fabrics until the 1st of the year. She is still ordering stock and that is a good sign.

What happened to the person(s) who were going to give us an address where we can write to express our displeasure over this situation?

Currently 35,377 have signed the petition. Still gaining momentum!!!
    Old 06-19-2007, 09:59 AM

Hi Rebecca,

I knit more than quilt, and the same dilemma with affordable mega-store vs. pricey local store applies. I am very blessed that I can walk to an AC Moore, and have a Michael's and Joann's within a 10 minute drive. But my closest local yarn store is 25 minutes away, and I am literally driving past AC Moore and Joann's to get there.

My middle-of-the-road solution is that whatever I can get from the mega-stores, I do. I wear out AC Moore's coupons on knitting needles, beads, notions, and good day-to-day yarn for felting and charity knitting.

But my local yarn store is my first and only stop for higher-end yarn and notions that the mega-stores don't sell, classes, events (trunk shows, sit & knits, etc.). I love that they know my name, and I know their's. They know what I'm working on, and invite me to sit for coffee and hang out. I don't mind paying more because I have a haven there, and often drop in at the end of errand day to get a moment of peace! :D

---
    2007 FABRIC POSTCARD CONTEST
    http://www.artcardideas.com/
    Multiple entries accepted, deadline August 1
    Prizes for the top 10 cards. Spread the word!
    Old 06-21-2007, 07:39 PM

Dear sewing sisters,
    I usually sit silently on the sidelines, but this topic has gotten my first posting out of me. I work at a WalMart SC and I call the fabric/craft dept my "home-away-from-home" because you can usually find me there when I'm not working my cash register. Our store has already undergone a big remodel and our fabulous fabric dept (that the dept mgr told me was in the top handful of the nation for sales) was reamed out of over 2/3 of its fabric, maybe more! EVERYONE who works there (and my schedule used to allow me to help customers and cut fabric) is upset about it still. I am always telling my customers to complain because the Co people only listen to you, not the associates. Now I am discouraged to think that the stupid people setting policy don't care about us customers either. Well..you have encouraged my heart to think that you are willing to fight for the right and good things that used to make Walmarts shine. I have wanted to complain and plead with someone on top of the pile for a long time. I am going to nose around tomorrow for a good "address" to mail or email. I will check back here, also, to see if anyone else found out who might really listen to us. And yes, money seems to have the most pull with these younger leaders so I thank you for any buying you do in WM fabric dept.
    Old 06-21-2007, 08:29 PM

If Wal-Mart in my town gets rid of the fabric section, I'm basically SOL 'cause its really the only place around here to buy fabric and notions. The nearest Hancock's is an hour away from here...I mean, its not incredibly far away, but I hardly ever get the chance to go to La Crosse because I can't legally drive so I only go there if someone takes me there. Plus, fabric is so darn expensive there anyways that I don't get a whole lot out of it (at least anything I want). And I can't order online...don't have a credit card.

I'm glad there are people out there are trying to do something about this with petitions and writing to the company, but I'm kind of skeptical of it having any real impact. Not trying to be pestimistic or anything, but there are over 30,000 names on that petition and many have probably written their outrage...yet we are still hearing that Wal-Mart is closing their fabric departments and still no word on Wal-Mart changing their mind.
    Old 06-22-2007, 05:51 AM

flying V - if you have a bank account you can open a paypal account. Lots of places will use that. That might help occasionally, altho it's still not the same as going to the store and letting your fingers do the walking.
    Old 06-22-2007, 08:18 AM

Well, this past Wednesday, I needed milk and bread and decided to stop in at Wal Mart just for the heck of it and see what was in the fabric dept. Some new fabric had come in in lovely colors--my favorite pieces were two in a soft salmon color. I also got a yard of each of two pieces that I already had some of because they were marked down. I told the lady cutting the fabric that I was glad they were still open. she said that they had been due to close a month ago but because of all the complaints they were not going to. I told her that if they close the fabric dept I would go elsewhere. I said I can get my groceries anywhere but if they close the fabric dept that I wouldn't need to come to WM. She said lots of people have said the same thing only in stronger terms. Target and KMart here both have grocery stores within their store, so if I can't buy fabric, why support WM with my business? I hope it got back to the store manager. I love to sew and can't always afford the top fabric designers like Moda and Benatrex.