Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Wal-Mart stores closing Fabric Dept. >
  • Wal-Mart stores closing Fabric Dept.

• Wal-Mart stores closing Fabric Dept.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by isnthatodd
    flying V - if you have a bank account you can open a paypal account. Lots of places will use that. That might help occasionally, altho it's still not the same as going to the store and letting your fingers do the walking.
    Actually, I don't have a bank account (kind of need money to have a bank account started). But I didn't know you could open a PayPal account with a bank account (thought you needed a credit card for that). It'd be great since then I could then buy stuff from thousandsofbolts.com since they only accept PayPal. But like you said, its not the same as going to the store and shopping for fabric there. Besides, I only have dial-up, so by the time I actually got done looking through fabric and getting ready to order them it probably would of been a lot quicker just to go to the store. Not to mention the shipping charges.
    Old 06-23-2007, 07:06 AM

I just posted a link in Resources for fabric shops that offer free shipping. Thought I'd put it here too as it may be of help to those of you who may want to go online to do your fabric shopping once your local Hancock's & WalMarts no longer have fabrics. The list is offered by Victoria Quilters:

http://www.freequiltpatterns.info/FreeShipping/QuiltShopsFreeShipping.htm

Old 06-23-2007, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by vicki reno
    Well, this past Wednesday, I needed milk and bread and decided to stop in at Wal Mart just for the heck of it and see what was in the fabric dept. Some new fabric had come in in lovely colors--my favorite pieces were two in a soft salmon color. I also got a yard of each of two pieces that I already had some of because they were marked down. I told the lady cutting the fabric that I was glad they were still open. she said that they had been due to close a month ago but because of all the complaints they were not going to. I told her that if they close the fabric dept I would go elsewhere. I said I can get my groceries anywhere but if they close the fabric dept that I wouldn't need to come to WM. She said lots of people have said the same thing only in stronger terms. Target and KMart here both have grocery stores within their store, so if I can't buy fabric, why support WM with my business? I hope it got back to the store manager. I love to sew and can't always afford the top fabric designers like Moda and Benatrex.
    That is the best news I've heard yet; maybe getting really vocal and not giving up on those petitions can make a difference. I really feel for you, Flying V. I can't afford to get the pricey fabric, either, though I love to drool in the one quilt shop we have in Olathe, KS. and spring for 1/2 yd here and there when I'm looking for something special (like a basketweave print).

ce
    Old 06-25-2007, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by vicki reno
    Target and KMart here both have grocery stores within their store, so if I can't buy fabric, why support WM with my business? I hope it got back to the store manager. I love to sew and can't always afford the top fabric designers like Moda and Benatrex.
    Hi Vicki,

So good to hear that someone in WM management is listening, and that these fabric dept closings are being dealt with on a case-by-case!

If you can find a moment, you could write the store manager a note with a nod toward their good-sense decision to keep the fabric department. He may not get the message from the salesperson, and comments on paper count for a LOT. I used to mystery shop for walk-up restaurants, and there's a lot of leverage in a detailed note :D

Blessings!
    Crystal

Old 08-11-2007, 09:32 AM

I live in the country near a small town in Texas, which tells you that my Wal-Mart is NOT just around the corner. It's 15 miles 1-way. We had a Hancock in a larger town about 45 miles away but it of course is now closed. There is one more small local quilting shop in that town, about 45 miles away also, but the prices are a bit high (not to mention the cost of gasoline today to drive there!). So I now get nearly all of my fabric and supplies at our local Wal-Mart. The next nearest Wal-mart is roughly 45-50 miles one way. If Wal-mart closes their fabric department, my only choice would be to start shopping online. It really makes me mad that Wal-Mart would even think of doing that! Those of us who live in or near small towns are pretty well stuck on where we can do our shopping! And when business starts dropping off, the "powers-that-be" will be sitting in their nice fancy offices wondering what the h--- happened?" Well, DUHHH! Reckon Sam Walton is turning over in his grave?

spooky :(
    Old 08-11-2007, 10:11 AM

Has anyone seen the almost made sun dresses at Wal Mart? The top is gathered with elastic thread and sold by the yard and the bottom part is a border print. All that you need is to sew up a back seam and add ribbon for straps. Got two pieces to make sundress for the G.D. and bought ribbon for the straps. No necessarily quilting fabric, but the $20.00 may go toward keeping the fabric dept open a little longer. A "store bought sundrss coughts upwards of $20.00 at Wal Mart and that for a 4 year old. So I basically got enough for two dresses for under $10 and also got remants and thread last night. LIke I said all for $20. They are still saying that the dept is on hold, so we"ll see what happens.
    Old 09-05-2007, 07:17 PM
    Banned

:? We all complained and looks like no use the sc is coming and Fabrics is more than likely going.Tis STUPID for WM < That's True !!!!! But we've loved wm Fabrics a Loooong time,Flying V some web sites will take a check or Money order for Fabric and Notions also anything else you need.BJ
    Old 09-05-2007, 07:49 PM

Well aint that about how it goes!!! I buy my fabric, supplies, etc almost exclusively at WalMart. (only exceptions are the bargains I find at yard sales). Not to mention the fact that I live in a small rural town of only 2000 and the nearest WalMart is a 1/2 hour drive away. Its the closest place. We lost the JoAnn's that was in the same town as our WalMart ("our"...apparently not so much any more!) 10 + yrs ago. If they do away with their fabric department...I'll HAVE to rely on my garage and yard sale skills. I can't drive 60 - 70 miles round trip to purchase my supplies for ANY of my crafts...the gas alone would bankrupt my crafting budget. I'm callin tomorrow...emailing now...and visiting the store on my planned trek into town this Friday.
    Old 09-06-2007, 05:28 AM

I was at the South Bend, IN walmart a few days ago, and their fabric and crafts dept is HUGE - the biggest I have ever seen. PLUS there is a JoAnns AND a Hobby Lobby within 1/4 mile and a quilt shop in town, too.. The woman who runs the department said to keep calling 1-800-walmart. She says they really do listen and you should call every day, over and over! :lol:
    Old 09-06-2007, 12:27 PM

Well, I did my bit and got signed on with the petition. Next visit to Wal Mart I will be sure to advise them of my displeasure and that if they close down the fabric department I will probably not go there anymore. I don't know the status of the store in my area because they are in process of expanding to a super Wal Mart. They are also attempting to build another Wal Mart very close by and maybe they will consider including a fabric department if enough of us complain or sign the petition.

Marilyn Philips