Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • walking foot crisis >
  • walking foot crisis

• walking foot crisis

Old 06-29-2011, 04:13 PM

Your back stitching should keep the quilting in tact. Once the quilt is washed and dried, the starts and stops will be less obvious. They're very neat on your piece, by the way. And at least the stitches are secure and should last through washings and wear. Give the burying a try on your next quilt.
    Old 06-29-2011, 04:18 PM

I appreciate this attitude. I'm going to try the fabric glue. I'm glad to hear there's an option that will at least keep it from falling apart even though it might look a little weird. I was really looking forward to snuggling up with it and I'd definitely like it to last a long time! Here's a picture of the quilt top.

Originally Posted by ube quilting
    You might think it's horrable but it really isn't anything that can't be controlled. THe tip about using Fray Check or Fabric glue is a good one and will work.

Now you've learned something about pulling the bobbin tread to the top and taking a few small stitches to lock the threads. Great!

Remember this . You are a student of quilting. We all are.
    Everything has a learning curve. Don't fret. Lets see a picture of the quilt top!
    peace :D
    wonky stars
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]218746[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-218740.jpe  
    Old 06-29-2011, 04:25 PM

Your quilt is beautiful, and will last a long, long time, I am confident. But I'm glad you asked this question, as I have learned a lot from the answers!

I have used the "make 5 to 10 tiny stiches" method, and then just snip the threads off. But, I've not been quilting long enough to see if it lasts or not.
    Old 06-29-2011, 04:46 PM
    Power Poster

Every quilt I make, I learn something from it :wink:
    I too prefer to leave the threads long and bury the knots whenever possible.

Your quilt is beautiful, both front and back :D:D:D
    and look at it this way, if any of it does come undone and you have to re stitch it? You picked a good design that will allow you to restitch it without trying to match a complicated pattern. See? no matter what, it will all work out :wink: :D:D:D
    Old 06-29-2011, 04:51 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by wattse2000
    I appreciate this attitude. I'm going to try the fabric glue. I'm glad to hear there's an option that will at least keep it from falling apart even though it might look a little weird. I was really looking forward to snuggling up with it and I'd definitely like it to last a long time! Here's a picture of the quilt top.

Originally Posted by ube quilting
    You might think it's horrable but it really isn't anything that can't be controlled. THe tip about using Fray Check or Fabric glue is a good one and will work.

Now you've learned something about pulling the bobbin tread to the top and taking a few small stitches to lock the threads. Great!

Remember this . You are a student of quilting. We all are.
    Everything has a learning curve. Don't fret. Lets see a picture of the quilt top!
    peace :D
    Oh my! It is beautiful! I don't think you have anything to worry about. Keep on quilting girl! :D
    Old 06-29-2011, 04:57 PM

Thanks for posting this question as I also learned a lot and love the wonky stars and colors of your quilt. Nice job.
    Old 06-29-2011, 05:17 PM

Good point! Do you think it will be ok to restitch parts once the binding is already on? In any case, I guess if I do restitch I will try the "right" way!

Originally Posted by amma
    Every quilt I make, I learn something from it :wink:

Your quilt is beautiful, both front and back :D:D:D
    and look at it this way, if any of it does come undone and you have to re stitch it? You picked a good design that will allow you to restitch it without trying to match a complicated pattern. See? no matter what, it will all work out :wink: :D:D:D
    Old 06-29-2011, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by LeslieFrost
    Your quilt is beautiful, and will last a long, long time, I am confident. But I'm glad you asked this question, as I have learned a lot from the answers!

I have used the "make 5 to 10 tiny stiches" method, and then just snip the threads off. But, I've not been quilting long enough to see if it lasts or not.
    Fray Stop is the product to use; just a small drop on the beginning and ending stitches. TRY IT On a small sample first as you may not like the stiffness. (I also start and end with small stitches. )
    Old 06-29-2011, 06:04 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    get some fabric glue. look especially for a brand that will dry clear (and not shiny) and that is laundry-safe.

dab a teeeeeeeeny bit on the spots that worry you. press the threads into the fabric with a toothpick. go over it again after it has dried.

make sure to do both sides of the quilt.

i've had much success with Dritz brand Liquid Stitch.
    This is what I would do..even FRAY check or Alenes OK to wash it glue will do fine!
    Old 06-29-2011, 06:05 PM
    Banned

[quote=wattse2000]Good point! Do you think it will be ok to restitch parts once the binding is already on? In any case, I guess if I do restitch I will try the "right" way!

[quote=amma]Every quilt I make, I learn something from it :wink:

sure you can...just because it is bound does not mean you can not sew on the quilt...some go back and do MORE quilting when they have finished, because they think it might need something else....