Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Wall for hanging rulers, scissors, quilting tools? >
  • Wall for hanging rulers, scissors, quilting tools?

• Wall for hanging rulers, scissors, quilting tools?

Old 11-29-2013, 04:15 AM

All 4 walls in my sewing room is peg board, I love it. I have all my threads, sewing, serger, embroidery & quilting threads. all rulers, scissors and any thing else that will hang on my walls.
    Old 11-29-2013, 06:20 AM
    Power Poster

I went a bit more creative. I hung the IKEA rods in the windows for scissors - I have a pretty good collection of old scissors though. Then I hung an old ironing board top I fished out of the neighbor's trash - I pulled the legs off it. It has holes in it for pegs - magnets stick to it. If you mount a piece of wood behind it on 3 sides you can make a pocket to hold the big measuring equipment. Then I hung an old baby bed springs on the wall and clip things to it.
    Old 11-29-2013, 07:08 AM

I have 3 different peg boards in spots around the room and I have used cup hooks and other types of hooks screwed into shelves and on the frames of the pegboards for hanging other things on. I suppose you could make a graph paper diagram of all you have to hang and make plans on adding to it and then you might find other ways to hang things. Have fun doing it!
    Lynda

Originally Posted by jjjlewis
    For Christmas I've ask my husband to make a board for quilting tools ( rulers, cutters, etc.) in my sewing room. My challenge is to come up with what to use for the board. If anyone has done this, I'd love some ideas. Only thing I can think of is peg board.

By the way, this site has given me so much inspiration and help. I am fairly new to quilting and this is the first place I look at for answers and ideas. Thank you all so much.
    Old 11-29-2013, 07:48 AM

This is such a great idea to help keep things in their place. I used a black sharpie marker around each hanging item and I'm so happy with the finished results - a clean, organized pegboard wall!!
    Originally Posted by AliKat
    It helps with the peg board if you outline what goes where when you are finished. Keeps things neater and cuter.
    Old 11-29-2013, 07:58 AM
    Power Poster

I have a pegboard that I put a frame around made out of yardsticks. Then I glued 2" long pieces of dowel in every other hole. This is what I hang spools of thread on. If the board was bigger I would put more dowels to hold tools.You could trace around the tool with pencil then paint in the shape with pastels or what ever colors, Just an idea for you. Post a picture of what ever you do.
    Old 11-29-2013, 08:02 AM

I'm using peg board also.....but I used round shower curtain hooks (I used the ones that have love, faith, hope on the hooks) to hang it in the closet on the rod that goes across for clothes. works out pretty nicely! I have two hanging side by side with lots of space for my rulers and tools. Oh yeah, and I just bought a package of the hook things that go on a pegboard to use for hanging all my tools/rulers.

Last edited by cdmmiracles; 11-29-2013 at 08:08 AM.
    Old 11-29-2013, 11:28 AM

I covered my pegboard with some floral striped wallpaper that I found at a thrift store.
    Old 11-29-2013, 11:58 AM

I'll add my vote for pegboard as well.

The one thing I can suggest is see if you can find a retail fixture supply place for the pegboard hardware. They should also carry the other items, like the bins and such. I managed to get 100 2" hooks for $12.75. Princess Auto (our version of Harbor Freight) was $1.49 for 4 of them and Home Depot was $2+ for 4 of the same hooks. The only difference is the ones from the retail store didn't have the plastic covers on the tips, they have a rounded ball on the end instead. I prefer the hooks without the covers anyway. Those covers just go flying when you grab something off the hook.
    Old 11-29-2013, 11:58 AM

My peg board is cut as a chair rail and runs across the back wall of my sewing room. Just adds some interest to my room and easy to reach. Works for me.
    Old 11-29-2013, 01:58 PM
    KLO

When my sewing room is completed, I also intended to hang peg board but I think I will be using Sewnoma's idea too. I like the rails and think they will work great in different areas. Thanks for this idea!

Originally Posted by Sewnoma
    I use "Grundtal" kitchen rails and hooks from Ikea. I love it! I need more hooks now, though. This was right after I installed it - it's a bit more crowded now that I live with it.

The rails are right above my cutting table, within easy reach. Works great for me, I've found all sorts of other things to hang on there, now, LOL.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]448995[/ATTACH]