Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Wall for hanging rulers, scissors, quilting tools? >
  • Wall for hanging rulers, scissors, quilting tools?

• Wall for hanging rulers, scissors, quilting tools?

Old 11-30-2013, 08:05 PM

Re: pegboard--If you support the pegboard with a top and bottom board (rather than vertical boards or a frame), not only does it hold it out from the wall enough for the pegboard hooks, but it leaves a great, out-of-the-way space to store your larger cutting mats and/or larger plastic rulers, etc.
    Old 11-30-2013, 08:39 PM

My dh decided to surprise me last Christmas with acrylic pegboard that came with hooks and hanging bins. I love it! It cost more than regular pegboard but he must think I'm worth it! LOL! Here's the link
    http://www.amazon.com/Azar-900945-CL...=pd_sbs_shoe_3
    Old 11-30-2013, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
    I went a bit more creative. I hung the IKEA rods in the windows for scissors - I have a pretty good collection of old scissors though. Then I hung an old ironing board top I fished out of the neighbor's trash - I pulled the legs off it. It has holes in it for pegs - magnets stick to it. If you mount a piece of wood behind it on 3 sides you can make a pocket to hold the big measuring equipment. Then I hung an old baby bed springs on the wall and clip things to it.
    Miriam would love to see pictures
    Old 11-30-2013, 10:14 PM

I have a peg board for my wall. My hubby took 2 peg board sheets and built a frame for it and screwed it to the wall. It hangs on the wall behind my Horn Quiltmate II cabinet, the Bernina 930 is in it right now. I have 4 machines that share the cabinet, just change out the insert.
    I bought the long hooks from Lowes or Home Depot and I hang my rulers and other tools up. It works great.
    Sharon
    Attached Thumbnails peg-board-bernina-930-001.jpg  

Last edited by purplefiend; 11-30-2013 at 10:22 PM.
    Old 12-01-2013, 05:46 AM

Default Pegboard space

If you get the heavy duty plastic pegboard it is self framing. it has sides-so no need for leaving space.
    Old 12-11-2013, 10:08 AM

My DH built and hung my pegboard. Wonderful early Christmas present.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]451344[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails peg2.jpg  
    Old 12-11-2013, 04:47 PM

Very nice! I know you will love it!
    Old 12-11-2013, 06:17 PM

The peg board is a great way to go. I also bought a clear, over-the-door shoe holder. I put MANY tools (not rulers) in each of those clear pockets. Since I have 3 sewing machines and a serger, I even place the different foot controls and cords in those pockets, when they are not in use. My sewing room is small....can't have but one machine up at a time. My pockets are all FULL!! Wish I had another door, for another one!! Just a thought!
    Old 12-11-2013, 06:52 PM

I have pegboard. Mine is unpainted so I don't have to worry about scratching it. I used to have a magnetic strip (it was a knife holder in a previous life) to hang my scissors on. Now I just have a row of nails in the wall behind my sewing machine table that I hang them on. It works great. Both have lots of expansion potential and are easy to install and change.
    Old 12-12-2013, 02:46 PM

I have 2 inside walls and 1 outside wall of peg boards. As many hooks as I needed I could not afford to buy the hooks.
    So I bought a bunch of ¼” dowel sticks 36” long and had Lowes cut them into 6” legends at 50 cents a cut.
    Take two ¼” peg boards and 4 2”x2”. I left the legs of the frame long to stand up and hold up the frame behind my machines.
    Then lay the second peg board behind the frame on the patio. Take 2 dowels and insert in the center of the front through both pegs top and bottom. Now move the frame up until you will have a good slant angle in which to push your dowels in. then mark your placement flip over and screw your back peg board in place. You stand up your framed pegboard behind your machines. I hung mine sideways 4’high and 8’ wide, I cut one 2x2 into and put it in the center between the peg boards to make it stronger in the center. i can not get the pics to load, sorry