Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • WALMART - FABRIC BOLTS RETURN >
  • WALMART - FABRIC BOLTS RETURN

• WALMART - FABRIC BOLTS RETURN

Old 04-11-2011, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Carrie
    Once they removed the fabric from our Walmart, I stopped going. It was the only reason I found to shop there. By watching the sales, I found I could do just as well shopping at other stores.
    At least you had options. Some towns do not have that luxury.
    Old 04-11-2011, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by susanwilley
    It has already happened in our store in Glen Burnie. I have noticed some very pretty new fabrics on thier shelves. And, while I don't know fabric very well at all, they look and feel very top of the line. The price is still kinda reasonable even though prices are rising. Ours run about 4.94 per yard, some higher and some lower. They still have mark downs for 2.00 to 3.00 per yard too.
    While my local WM (10 miles away) does not currently carry fabric <sure hope it comes back!>..... another WM store (about 40 miles away) does still carry fabric and has been revamping their inventory. I was told by the fabric associates that they are moving the department back to a prominent location in the store too!

I agree with Susan.... the quality, price and selection is GREAT!
    Old 04-11-2011, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
    Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
    I don't want to rain on what will be a happy circumstance for alot of us fabric shoppers (includes me) but I hope this time they will have the fabric counter staffed by someone who knows how to cut fabric. Before the "change" when my store had fabric I had to call for help each time and wait and wait. Then whoever came over usually admitted they really didn't know what to do.
    Years ago we hit a fabric counter during the regular gal's lunch. They sent over a kid who knew nothing about fabric. She did not even know how long a yard was. (blame that on the schools). BAD! Anyway while my sis in law showed her how to cut fabric and price it, I went in search of the manager.

I told him he was unfair to us the customers, unfair to the kid trying to fill in and unfair to Wal-Mart. We could very easily have told her a yard was 60 inches or 72 inches or whatever we wanted if we were dishonest. It was bad for the girl, becaue she was frustrated beyond belief. And it took us, the customers, about 5 times the time we'd normally have spent in line.

What surprised me the other day, I got a gal in Jo-ann's who didn't know how to cut a third of a yard. She almost cut 2/3 until I stopped her. Adn of course, she had no idea that 1/3 of a yard was .3333
    That is so very sad, but amazingly true. I asked one gal for 1/6 (6") of a yard, and she used the yardstick imbedded in the counter. I stopped her and reminded her I wanted 1/6 of a yard (thinking she hadn't heard me). She pointed out that the yard stick showed that 4" was 1/6 of a yard. Now all of a sudden I'm giving a math class in Walmart. Even the department manager could not believe this error on the permanent yardstick. I wonder how many others were shorted their yardage. All other increments were fine. It was just the 1/6 marking that was incorrect.
    Old 04-11-2011, 06:39 PM

I had noticed fat-quarter packs creeping back in on the craft aisle.
    Old 04-12-2011, 02:42 AM

I apologize to everyone I was wrong. The story was in our paper this morning. I just had read so many other stories that were rumors that I just jumped to the notion this was one of those too.
    Old 04-12-2011, 02:42 AM

We will conquer. All kidding aside YES!!!!
    Old 04-12-2011, 02:43 AM

Our Walmart in the boonies of Pa never got rid of their fabric department although the workers say it is going to happen. I doubt it - it is the only fabric available in a wide area. I guess our complaints to Walmart finally are getting results.
    Old 04-12-2011, 02:56 AM
    Swap Hosts

We have two Walmarts nearby. One has bolts and the other only has fat quarters. Wish they'd stock bolts at both.
    Old 04-12-2011, 02:57 AM

That makes me so happy. I've been buying the $5 a yard material when I get to a store that has it. It washes beautifully Doesn't even need pressing which is more then I can say for some of Joann's fabrics.
    Old 04-12-2011, 03:10 AM

Seems like all our contacting them paid off.... happy happy happy!