Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Want to build a stash, need help! >
  • Want to build a stash, need help!

• Want to build a stash, need help!

Old 02-10-2011, 07:27 PM

Solids and blenders are good to stock up on, I'd go for the good quality cottons and poly/cotton (if you do a lot of charity quilting for hospitals, or sewing for babies, avoid the poly/cotton because the synthetic in the poly can cause a skin reaction). At our Walmart there is a big discrepancy in the quality and the weave of the solids so be sure and feel them - that's your best indicator. Otherwise, I would go for what appeals to me the most because that's what I would enjoy working with.
    Old 02-10-2011, 07:30 PM

I agree....go for blenders and fabrics that read solid.
    I started quilting in July and within a month or so I had a few fabrics but no real "stash" because all I had was leftovers from the quilts I had worked on. Then....when I started doing swaps, mystery quilts, etc. I didn't have things that would match other fabrics so I have been buying up alot of blenders from folks here on the board. Have fun..you will have a stash in NO time!
    Old 02-10-2011, 07:36 PM

Thanks ladies for the advice!!
    Old 02-10-2011, 10:20 PM

I noticed that I am drawn to darker color fabrics & then I don't have enough lights for contrast. I took one class & the instructor told us to look for small, med., & large scale fabrics to have a varity in our quilts. I also like to have solids. I guess it's personal taste & varity. PS- about Walmart closing their fabric dept- When all 3 of mine did the same, they started selling it at 75% off. Keep a close eye on it. The whole dept. sold out in about 2 days. THE PRICES WERE FANTASTIC!
    Old 02-10-2011, 11:27 PM

my walmart is closing this month. went there the other day. I brought some fabric in every color, brown, blue, red. pink and etc. i also got alot of black and white fabric. I seen so many quilts in the black and white that were so pretty. also seen purses in the black and white.
    i now feel I have a stash. Also brought fabric for the grandchildren. I spent over $100.00 at a yard for $1.29 each. I waited for the fabric to be 75% off.
    Old 02-11-2011, 04:15 AM

Quick start is buying FQs in colors you love and grow your stash from those. Not a novelty print person so I buy those only for a particular quilt. I am starting to thin my stash out and will be delighted to mail a box of goodies to you at the end of next week. Just let me know if you are interested. It is all 100% cotton from LQS.
    Old 02-11-2011, 05:05 AM
    Power Poster

buy what you like that when you look at it you see a dozen different projects you could use it for...if you love it you will use it...regardless whether it is a novelty a solid or a print. try to find some coordinates that go with many different fabrics, and dont forget the neutrals...my stash always seems to be lacking a selection of neutrals...and greens...i don't know why but i seldom seem to have what i need. it also kind of depends on what types of quilts you make...kids quilts mainly? lots of bright colors and novelties...more cottage quilts? big florals in pastels are going to be the ticket... traditional quilts? reproduction fabrics... see lots a choices, but it really boils down to what you fall in love with and feel you have to have...and buy as much of it as you can afford, because you may never be able to find it again.
    Old 02-11-2011, 06:01 AM

oh dear - you scare me -------------- BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR!
    Old 02-11-2011, 06:40 AM

Start with some fabrics you like. I wouldn't buy a whole lot at this sale unless you have plans for it. Give yourself a couple of months and you will have a stash before you know it! And didn't you know that the fabric multiplies when you are not in the room???
    Old 02-11-2011, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by MamaBear61
    I don't know how much help this will be but I tend to buy prints and novelty prints and then when I start a project I usually end up having to go out and get the solids on tonals I need to coordinate.
    Me too!