Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Want to start quilting >
  • Want to start quilting

• Want to start quilting

Old 01-28-2011, 08:33 PM

My first quilt I made was a wedding ring quilt...in fact I made ALOT of them. I found it NOT TO be hard to do at all. But it can be intimidating thats for sure.
    Old 01-28-2011, 08:36 PM
    Power Poster

My first was a four block alternated with a large fussy cut. I made it for my DGD. She still uses it. It's more of a lap quilt for her now.
    Old 01-28-2011, 08:40 PM

It really depends on your general sewing level. The first quilt I made was a king sized bargello. I had a lot of help, but it still took me a year to get it together. I think I was pretty good at sewing a straight line, which is what you need for that type of quilt.

I would take a class if you are a beginner, just so you have someone you can turn to if you have any questions or problems.
    Old 01-28-2011, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by pam1966
    A very easy beginner pattern would be Rail Fence. I'm sure you'll get lots more suggestions!
    My recommendation, too. Start easy and have fun. Oh, choose your favorite colors: they'll coordinate and you'll keep going just to see how they'll look. For Rail Fence you need four colors usually and you can strip piece, rotary cut, and zip right through a little quilt in no time.

If you get stuck, just ask. You'll get lots of answers and encouragement (trust me) and that will help you to keep going.

Oh yes, welcome from Louisiana!
    Old 01-28-2011, 08:56 PM

My advice as someone whonjust started quilting about 9 months ago is to start slow. Find your local quilt shop and see if they offer any classes. Don't run right out and start buying things. Most of us here can help you with tips on how to get it cheaper. Joann fabrics and their sales are your BEST friend for getting your supplies. :)

Use this board as a reference, they community here is very helpful and realLy gave me TONS oF help when I started. There's a link to my blog in my signature. That will go through some of the things I learned right off the bat. But ask questions here, we love to help new interested people.

Don't be afraid, and there is no such thing as a perfect quilt, and there are no quilt police here. :)

Go for it, I also started because of my grandmother. I wonder what should would think that outnof several grandchildren, most girls....that her grandson decided to take up quilting. :)
    Old 01-29-2011, 09:01 AM

I highly recommend that you take a class at your local quilt shop. That is what i did and have been addicted ever since :D We did a log cabin and I was SO proud!
    Old 01-30-2011, 05:49 AM

Thanks for all the great advice
    Old 01-30-2011, 07:48 AM

my first quilt was blocks. I have been quilting I would say a little over 3 yrs. I do not quilt on a machine per se. I tie my quilts. My machine does not have the capability for quilts. To send them out, would be a little too much for my pocket book. My first quilt was a puffed/quillo. Making squares and a backing that had a slit in it, and then fill and join them all together. A huge undertaking for a beginner, and my points were not exactly mesh, but, this group is so very supportive and helped me figure out, that perfect just does not happen. Only the Lord is perfect. I feel, maybe the pattern you have chosen would be a little to complicated for a beginner.
    Whatever you choose, I am sure it will be beautiful. It will be made from your heart.
    Don't forget the quilting board is a 24/7 thing and if you run into problems, there is always someone here that can help you.
    Happy Quilting and welcome from AZ
    Old 01-30-2011, 08:08 AM

I, too am a new quilter, but have been slow at starting due to illness, so I've read tons! I must have 9 projects waiting with the patterns and fabric- the first one I bought was a tumbling block fussy cut, so I had a chuckle when I read the comment about starting easy. I've actually just finished my first topper- it's about 45"x30. It was the most beautiful panel, but I did four patches around it, then added borders. The fun part is, I'm going to quilt it myself, and I can't wait! I plan on making it a little artsy, but functional. I've watched Patsy Thompsons videos- she uses her home machine,and I'm going to dive right in. I'll send a pic when I finish.The things most people are afraid of don't bother me- I look at them as a fun challenge. Good luck with what you choose, but a four patch or log cabin does look to be the easiest, but if you are a sewer and have good instructions and patience...don't sell yourself short LOL! Have Fun!