Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • warm and natural batting >
  • warm and natural batting

• warm and natural batting

Old 09-29-2019, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by meyert
    Thank you for your replies.... I have no doubt that Warm and Natural is wonderful batting. Its just that some people do feel colder than others. that Warm and Plush batting is also a wonderful batting.

My dad is 86 years old and that is who this quilt is intended for and I believe that he gets cold.

I do appreciate all of your thoughts.
    could you use a plush type backing? Minky is so soft and warm, not as heavy as doubling the batting.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-29-2019 at 05:43 AM.
    Old 09-29-2019, 06:39 AM

I love warm and natural and I have discovered I love the glue basting too. Only one layer of W&N will do the trick. It is thinner but it is so so warm with the single layer. Two layers really is to warm. I discovered that with the first quilt I did with W&N as I too thought it was to thin. What it does with a quilt is so different. The finished project is so smooth. Less puffy for sure but a nicer end product. I still use some polyester batts for a few things but have been spoiled bye W&N.
    Old 09-29-2019, 10:18 AM

Warm and natural is all I ever use in my quilts for batting.
    Old 09-29-2019, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Crqltr
    could you use a plush type backing? Minky is so soft and warm, not as heavy as doubling the batting.
    I agree minky makes for a really snuggly quilt. I had some pictures printed on fabric by Spoonflower for the back - - so minky really is not an option for this quilt
    Old 09-29-2019, 02:21 PM
    Power Poster

Warm and Natural is 100% cotton which makes a heavy quilt. Don't be fooled that it's "too thin". It's dense. And a quilt with two layers of it may be too heavy for an 86 yo man to handle.

The consensus here, of those of us that use it, is not to double the Warm and Natural batting. But you do what you think is best.
    Old 09-29-2019, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by meyert
    Thank you for your replies.... I have no doubt that Warm and Natural is wonderful batting. Its just that some people do feel colder than others. that Warm and Plush batting is also a wonderful batting. My dad is 86 years old and that is who this quilt is intended for and I believe that he gets cold.
    I do appreciate all of your thoughts.
    I'm almost 86 myself, and yes, I get cold, too. But I found that two quilts are better than one. With that extra layer of "air" between them, they offer just a bit more insulation value. And each quilt is easier to wash and dry separately. Also, sometimes I get too warm and toss one of the quilts aside (or onto the floor LOL). With such a heavy quilt it would be all or nothing at all.

Another thought. Some people really like the extra weight. They sleep better under something heavy. Two quilts would satisfy that need also.

Last edited by maviskw; 09-29-2019 at 03:39 PM.
    Old 09-30-2019, 07:33 AM
    Power Poster

I think your best option is to order a package of the warm and plush for this particular quilt. You will make more quilts that you can use the warm and natural with. I would definitely not double up the W&N, not only for the reasons stated above but also for purposes of washing. A quilt with two layers of W&N which is a very heavy batting (weight wise) to begin with will be so heavy soaking wet, it could easily damage a washing machine in the spin cycle. Also if you are not one to quilt closely, the extra weight of the 2nd batting, when wet, could result in popped stitches, both seams and quilting.

If you truly want to double up, use only one layer of the W&N and layer a much lighter weight loftier batting on top of it, like wool or poly. Wool will definitely add a layer of insulating warmth and loft without adding much weight.

As someone who has done a lot of double batting I do have some experience. I do quilt on a LA, however. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to manipulate any double batted quilt on a DSM, let alone one that would be as heavy as double W&N.
    Another option is to simply make your dad a second quilt so he can layer the quilts up.
    Old 10-01-2019, 04:47 AM

My last big quilt I used warm and natural in, and it made a very heavy quilt that is warm to sleep under. My only mistake was using it for a themed quilt for use when the nights are still warm!
    Old 10-01-2019, 07:20 AM

As a person who runs cold, and also as a person who prefers to use Warm and Plush over Warm and Natural, I don't think a single layer of Warm and Natural compares to the Warm and Plush. I actually just slept under a quilt with Warm and Natural in it last night, and I was still freezing with the house set to 76. This particular quilt was quilting cotton on top and for backing, W&N for batting. I typically use Warm and Plush, plus a flannel backing on the back now.

Double layer of W&N would probably work for the warmth factor, but as others have pointed out, would be really heavy to wrangle through a DSM, but if you're prepared for it, you can make it work. Earlier this year, I glue basted a layer of Warm and Plush with a layer of Hobbs Polydown and people had recommended using extra glue plus safety pins just to be safe. Possible that was because the poly wouldn't glue baste very well (unsure, because I've never used a poly batt before), but if you were concerned about securing the layers, you could do that. I only pinned every 6in or so? So it wasn't terrible, but if you're going to do that, I highly recommend a Kwik Klip! I didn't have one when I started but you sure bet I went and got one before I finished!

Also, when I glue baste, I do water down the glue a little, but I also use a putty knife (one of those wide scraper tools) to help spread the glue out because it's easy to wash, and less annoying than getting glue all over my finger from spreading it
    Old 10-01-2019, 08:15 AM
    Power Poster

I think using two quilts would be a simpler solution.

When I was growing up, my sleeping area was cold - so I did have the idea that "the heavier the coverings, the warmer I would be" - which was true to a certain extent.