Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Warm and natural batting >
  • Warm and natural batting

• Warm and natural batting

Old 05-28-2010, 04:07 AM

Here's a link to the Quilter's Dream website with quite a dizzying array of options. They have a "User Guide" there that may be helpful, and they have a way of searching for locations that carry this brand. I think "Request" weight is the one most often used by hand quilters.
    http://www.quiltersdreambatting.com/

Thank-you so much, that went right to my favorites, great chart that tells you which batting is the best according to the project.
    Old 05-28-2010, 04:39 AM

I'm currently hand quilting with warm & natural. This is the first time I have tried it and I'm having a difficult time. For me, I love the wool batting, if I can afford it, if not, I will go back to the 80/20. I don't think I will use the warm & natural again because I only hand quilt.
    Old 05-28-2010, 04:56 AM

[quote=craftybear]so did you prewash your batting??

Originally Posted by maryb119
    Originally Posted by Grandmother23
    Originally Posted by maryb119
    I hand quilt and I use Warm and Natral all the time. I wash it before I sandwich it ina quilt. It seams softer that way and it needles very well.
    Does it shrink much? The reason I ask is I made a "Barb's Bargello" and didn't prewash the fabric. I want to use a cotton batting-something along these lines, and will send the top out to be quilted. I don't usually prewash and now I wonder how much it may "pucker", which I don't mind some but don't want a lot.

Yes, it shrinks about 3 to 5 inches on a 90 inch wide batt. I prefer it shrink the most before I hand quilt it. I like a little puckering in a finished quilt, too and it does after the finished quilt is washed the first time. I also prewash my fabrics too. I don't want any surprises after my quilt is finished.
    Yes, I prewash my batting. I put it in the washer with hot water and just let it sit and soak for about an half hour or so....mostly until it is good and wet, then I spin it out. Do not let the machine agitate. Then I put it in the dryer and dry it completely. The heat shrinks it and makes it very soft and easy to needle.
    Old 05-28-2010, 05:22 AM

My Walmart that doesnot carry fabric but a few sewing items now has warm & natural! I was pleasantly surprised. Usually they have no batting just stuffing for crafts.
    Old 05-28-2010, 06:27 AM

I have always used Warm and Natural. But I was machine quilting small projects. All large projects, a friend of mine would quilt with her long arm. I decided I wanted to hand quilt a throw for my nephew. Man! It has really been a challenge! It iIS hard to hand quilt!
    Old 05-28-2010, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud
    I had used poly forever and than tried warm and natural. I'll never go back. It feels so nice.
    before I didn't know better I used the poly...but hated it...and I just love to work with the warm and natural :-D
    Old 05-28-2010, 08:03 AM

Yes, it is cotton and I use it all the time. I usually buy 10 yards at a time with my Joann's 40% off coupon.
    Old 05-28-2010, 08:10 AM

For hand quilting, the recommendation has been to use Hobbs 80/20 batting instead of warm and natural. The Hobbs seems to be meant for hand quilters. Let me know if you decide to use it.
    Old 05-28-2010, 09:10 AM
    Power Poster

I use wool or silk batting for hand quilting. Once I tried the wool and silk, I was hooked. Warm and Natural is the batting I use for machine quilting because it's nice and I can buy it off the bolt.
    Old 05-28-2010, 10:28 AM

I never heard of silk batting. Where do you buy it and how expensive is it==does it compare in price to warm and natural.