Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Warm wishes quilt help... >
  • Warm wishes quilt help...

• Warm wishes quilt help...

Old 11-14-2010, 07:15 AM

I am playing with the idea of doing a Warm Wishes quilt. I really like the ones I have seen. I have my fabric for the large square of one fabric. I don't have the fabric for the square that will have three fabrics in it.

I am trying to figure out how to phrase my question...I really like the quilts where there is sort of a series of frames that are formed by the 3 fabrics. In some quilts this framing stands out, in others it doesn't.

What fabric do I need to purchase to make it stand out? A dark, a light, and a medium? Two lights and a dark???

I am a fairly new quilter, so don't laugh at my question. I also cannot visualize at all anything in advance. I never know what I will have until I have sewn it up.

See, I need expert advice.
    Old 11-14-2010, 07:21 AM

I'm a visual learner...I really have to see things in order for it to click sometimes..most times. YouTube is my new best friend =) But what helped me was to get some graph paper and try and get down on paper what you have in your head. You will amaze yourself at what you come up with ~ before you know it you will be your very own quilt designer. =)
    Old 11-14-2010, 07:32 AM

Click on Search at the top of this page. Put "warm wishes" in the box. You'll see lots that members have quilted, with lots of color examples.
    Old 11-14-2010, 08:52 AM
    Power Poster

I would have to see your focal fabric before I could tell you what I would do.
    Old 11-14-2010, 09:00 AM
    Power Poster

Like Sadie says without seeing the fabric hard to tell you what direction to go ... can try and explain -- if the solid center focal is a lighter color go with a bold color choice for the top and bottom of the three colors - if the center block is bright I would use two softer colors for the striping -- Just my opinion :wink:
    Old 11-14-2010, 10:21 AM
    Power Poster

I agree to look at other finished quilts, try and find one with a focal fabric similar to yours. Then look at what they used for the alternate blocks :D:D:D
    Old 11-14-2010, 10:27 AM

when you put your possible choices together, try and put them on a wall and step back a good distance so you can see. Another trick is to take a picture of it and then look at the picture. good luck
    Old 11-14-2010, 03:45 PM

I am not good at getting pictures on my new computer, but this should be a place to look at my fabric:

http://www.jandofabrics.com/proddeta...prod=car000398

I have this fabric in three colors....black background, red back ground, and gold background. I have not decided it I am going to use all three fabrics yet or not.

I did find some information that I should have a light, dark, and medium "stripe", and the center one should be the light one.

Gathering lots of information and interested in all of it.
    Old 11-14-2010, 04:00 PM

Yes to the center stripe being lighter than the other two. You also need to determine the width of each strip. The middle stripe is often a bit larger than the other two - when it's light it helps the darker ones stand out more - especially if it's a bit wider than the other two.