Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Wash Away Thread >
  • Wash Away Thread

• Wash Away Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by asmmauer
    I received my new Trapunto embroidery designs and it calls for wash away thread so when design is finished it will not have bulky thread. Have any of you ladies used this before and if so how did you like it?Thanks in advance for all your input.
    It will work great for this. I had a girlfriend show me the trupunto tecnique(sp.?) & I was in awe of it. She also told me of a dirty trick she did to a lady in her quilt guild that kept INSISTING she didn't give her a block in their block exchange. She sewed her block with this thread & I can only imagine from there!
    Old 02-14-2011, 08:34 AM

SO --- Question --- When the guy wore his swimsuit into the water, did the "wash away" thread leave him embarrassed. Tell us about this WASH AWAY THREAD...purpose and when to use???
    Old 02-14-2011, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by fidgety
    I just recieved some of this and now you ladies have helped me out with it. I will be sewing something up for my DB who is always playing lil tricks on people. lol. Maybe something he wears to the lake??? :lol: :lol: :lol: if it gets wet he will be totally surprised now wont he !! ROTLFLMBO.... :thumbup:
    I love this! Wish I could be there to enjoy the joke. You made my day!
    Old 02-14-2011, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by kathdavis
    Great trick! But I am confused at why one would use it while we are sewing. Is it just to tack something down until it is quilted?
    Yes, that way you don't have to pin it or spray baste it.
    Old 02-14-2011, 01:38 PM

learn something every day. Intersting thread. I have to really laugh at the joke fidgety is going to play.... hope she brings her camera and shares pictures. I was laughing so hard just thinking about what she wrote. :) :) :) loved it. have a great day QB
    Old 02-14-2011, 09:42 PM

as an artiz, i use mixmedia all the timez, and this one iz in my mix
    Old 02-15-2011, 12:54 PM

I loved it for basting a quilt together before I started using spray adhesive. Now, I think I might use it to tack down areas when I'm doing machine quilting. I bought it at the Tucson Quilt Show from Superior Threads. You can order it from their web site.
    Old 02-15-2011, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
    Originally Posted by grumpy90650
    wow, thanks for the info...i am going to go get some, and experiment with it...i do alot of machine applique with satin stitch.......gina
    Just make sure you mark that bobbin!!! I use the spool itself on the top of the machine ~ I just use a 80/20 needle, nothing special... but you gotta mark the bobbin and make sure you keep it separate from all others. I actually use a special pink colored bobbin, but you could mark a big W or X on it with a marker :)
    You don't need to use it in both needle and bobbin. When you spray the needle thread, it disappears, and the bobbin thread pulls away easily - so don't put it in a bobbin - why take a chance on mixing it up LOL
    Old 02-15-2011, 03:05 PM

One more tip,learned the hard way. Don't store it in a damp area.It will turn to glue on the spool.
    Old 02-17-2011, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by katier825
    I use it all the time. After I spray baste, I use the water soluble thread and baste a couple of rows in each direction to help hold it together. I don't have a dedicated sewing area, so my quilts get a lot of handling between the time I spray baste and when I finish the quilt. I've made quite a few quilts and am still on my 2nd spool. It goes a long way.

I don't do trapunto, so I can't comment on using it for that application.
    Same here. Spray baste first (with my cheapy hairspray) and then a few lines just to hold the quilt as I'm slow at finishing the quilting part of the process. I discovered that in my machine I couldn't go full speed as the thread broke. I thought, it's only basting I can race through this but no. After stopping and rethreading several times it had to be slow and steady to complete an edge to edge line of basting. But when it came to FMQ it was great not to have to bother about it. I used to use invisible thread to stabilize but not any more.
    Never done machine trapunto but I'm sure washable thread would work just as well.