Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • to wash first or not >
  • to wash first or not

• to wash first or not

Old 12-01-2016, 10:33 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prism99
    Guess I am the odd one out here. I probably wouldn't pre-shrink it. This is because my quilting lines tend to be pretty close together (usually not more than 2" or 3" in any direction). This type of quilting binds both top and backing fabrics to the batting, at which point the batting limits how much the fabrics can shrink. Fabric that shrinks a lot when washed alone will shrink very little when washed after having been quilted with lines 2" apart.
    If I were planning on quilting lines being 5" apart, I might prewash the muslin. This is because over a 5" span, it would be possible for a highly-shrinking fabric to shrink a little more than the batting. However, before washing that large piece of yardage, I would probably do a test wash first on part of it. I would cut a 10" square from the muslin, wash and dry it, then measure the ironed piece. If it shrank an inch, I would probably prewash the whole piece.

A lot depends on how far apart your quilting lines will be. I enjoy quilting on my midarm frame so, instead of prewashing the musline, I would just plan on doing my usual close quilting.

Have you ever measured the items before and after to verify that they arr still the same size?
    Old 12-05-2016, 05:32 AM

I have learned from hard experience to prewash my fabrics. Not only for color shrinkage, but for dye issues. (I don't always buy the most reputable fabrics, and goodness knows what may happen if I don't prewash!) Recently I bought and washed some 108" backing fabrics, and was upset to have to figure out about pressing them afterwards. Was pretty pleased with my solution: I work on my "extra" dining table in the basement. I turned the vinyl table pads upside down so the felt was on top, covered the table pads with several old sheets that I clamped (Harbor freight stores sell several sizes of these) smoothly in place, and then got out the iron and pressed on my huge ironing table with a spray bottle for lightly spritzing the fabric. It worked out well. Good luck with your project!
    Old 12-06-2016, 09:11 PM

I would definitely pre-wash your backing for two reasons. Muslin can shrink quite a bit, and 108" wide fabric tends to shrink quite a bit more than the 45" fabric. I had a cotton 108" backing that shrank almost 5", and it was a very high quality piece.
    Old 12-07-2016, 06:50 AM

If it was other than muslin, would you wash it? There's your answer.