Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • To wash wool batting or not to wash? >
  • To wash wool batting or not to wash?

• To wash wool batting or not to wash?

Old 04-22-2012, 05:30 AM

Default To wash wool batting or not to wash?

I'm making a king-size quilt (my first) and am wondering whether or not I should pre-wash the wool batting. I can wash it, but I'm afraid I don't have an area big enough to dry it! Is it necessary to pre-wash the wool?
    Old 04-22-2012, 05:51 AM
    Power Poster

Read the directions for your batt. I have used Hobbs Heirloom wool batting, and it is not necessary to wash it.
    Old 04-22-2012, 06:29 AM

It's not dirty, it doesn't need washed! As expensive as wool is I wouldn't risk pre-shrinking it.
    Old 04-22-2012, 07:37 AM
    Power Poster

i love wool batting! i use either Dream Wool or Hobbs Wool---neither require prewashing---neither shrink---- both wash up beautifully when the quilt is finished-
    i made my first quilt in 1976---and make ALOT of quilts---i have never- ever even considered pre-washing a batt. i wash my finished quilts after quilting & binding is completed- as the final step before it goes where ever it is going
    Old 04-22-2012, 09:00 AM

I don't prewash unless its dirty and the instructions say it is washable
    Old 04-22-2012, 09:39 AM
    Power Poster

Not all wool batts are the same. Chances are, if yours is from one of the big batting manufacturers, it will not need to be pre-washed. However, you may have purchased yours from another source, such as a local mill. Some still have lanolin in them and need to be pre-washed. That's why it is important to check the instructions for YOUR batt, rather than rely on opinions of those of us who have not pre-washed OUR batts.
    Old 04-22-2012, 11:13 AM

Thank you all for your advice. I'm using Hobbs and have decided not to pre-wash.
    Old 04-22-2012, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
    Not all wool batts are the same. Chances are, if yours is from one of the big batting manufacturers, it will not need to be pre-washed. However, you may have purchased yours from another source, such as a local mill. Some still have lanolin in them and need to be pre-washed. That's why it is important to check the instructions for YOUR batt, rather than rely on opinions of those of us who have not pre-washed OUR batts.
    As the DSIL of Quinlog... I must add that she asked me and I did not know. The directions just gave directions for washing. It did not say washing was required or optional. Very confusing.
    Old 04-23-2012, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    i love wool batting! i use either Dream Wool or Hobbs Wool---neither require prewashing---neither shrink---- both wash up beautifully when the quilt is finished-
    i made my first quilt in 1976---and make ALOT of quilts---i have never- ever even considered pre-washing a batt. i wash my finished quilts after quilting & binding is completed- as the final step before it goes where ever it is going
    I use Dream Wool (and the Dream Cotton batting too!) and neither need to be washed before use. As a matter of fact, I read on their website that the wool in the batting is washed etc so many time in the process, almost all of the 'shrink' has been taken out of it! :-) In fact the wool will shrink less than the cotton! So quilt away with your not prewashed batting and enjoy the wonderful characteristic of your wool batting! I love the stuff!