Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • WASHING BEFORE GIFTING >
  • WASHING BEFORE GIFTING

• WASHING BEFORE GIFTING

Old 07-30-2011, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Zhillslady
    I will say I had a crazy curves one I dreaded washing cause sewing all those curves was hard for me. I wanted it to look new as long as possible. The one day I forgot to put back in sewing room where cat is not allowed and she laid on it so I washed it. I really liked the look washed. However since then Itty Bitty has claimed it as her own. She's my 18 year old munchkin cat. She gets what she wants. As you csn see in picture #2 if you try and take her quilt she gets in your face all mad.
    Awesome quilt and kitty. :thumbup:
    Old 07-30-2011, 09:42 AM

cute pictures, determined cat.
    Old 07-30-2011, 09:52 AM

. However after the recent post I started thinking how bad I would feel if someone washed and something happened to it I could have prevented.

I quilted a king size rail fence for my mom. She pieced it & I added the borders & finished it. Well I washed it & found where she had sewed too close to edge & it frayed out on a few of the squares. Lucklily I was able to fix it so washing in my book is a good ideal.
    Old 07-30-2011, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by HollyInfinite
    Ya' know I never thought about washing before gifting. I always give the color catcher sheets with the quilts because I only ever thought that the colors may bleed and I would hate for it to ruin something.
    Could any of you fill me in on these color catchers? What are they and where can they be purchased? I assume they stop colors form bleeding into others?
    Also, what is the best way to remove dressmakers chalk pencil lines? Do they pretty much need to be washed out?

Funny story and photos about your kitty Vicky. Not sure I would let my pet have such a pretty quilt though... I'd bribe it away from her with a heated cat pad or something else more tempting.
    Old 07-30-2011, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom
    Originally Posted by SharonTheriault
    I love the look of the washed quilt. It does look cuddly and used... but it's softer without the sizing, mistakes can be found (of course I don't make any lmao) and they aren't as intimidating for the giftee. Unwashed they look like they should be displayed, not used.
    Good point! One of the people who received the unwashed quilts promptly announced that she didn't need the color catchers. She would never wash it - in fact she was going to put it in her hope chest (she's 60 for crying out loud) - so all that work will be hidden away. Maybe if I'd washed it she would have thought she could use it.
    Wow, there is a woman that never gives up hope! LOL
    Old 07-30-2011, 12:44 PM

I always wash mine before I gift them to make sure nothing comes apart and I like the look of them once they are washed.
    Old 07-30-2011, 01:32 PM

I think that when you wash quilts before giving that unless you tell them it makes people think you are giving them something used. I washed a quilt for a craft sale and people said they wouldn't buy it as looked used and It wasn't.
    Old 07-30-2011, 01:36 PM

I wash my fabric and will wash the quilts. made my first one for me and after washing had two small repairs tomake. would hate to have it happen to someone else. It is so soft afterwards too. ( I only use muslin for most of my quilts. love the feel) :D :D
    Old 07-30-2011, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by mucky
    I think that when you wash quilts before giving that unless you tell them it makes people think you are giving them something used. I washed a quilt for a craft sale and people said they wouldn't buy it as looked used and It wasn't.
    you should have asked if they would rather have the pet hair, snippits, dust etc. in it since it does get handled a lot in the process. non quilters just do not understand..... :? :?
    Old 07-30-2011, 01:56 PM

I do not wash quilts that are special presentations, such as raffle quilts. I have discovered that the less quilting you do, the less the quilt looks used after washing. If they are going to kids, I definately wash them. It is a personal choice and you need to think about who is receiving this. So, I think I agree with everyone who has posted prior to me. And the stories explaining why folks wash were eye-opening.