Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Washing dilemma (after quilt finished) >
  • Washing dilemma (after quilt finished)

• Washing dilemma (after quilt finished)

Old 10-25-2010, 12:12 AM

I think that we now have "colour catchers" available in Aust. let me know if you would like me to look for some and send them to you.
    Colleen
    Old 10-25-2010, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by KiwiQuilter
    Oh my gosh - it's WORSE!!!

The cream fabric is no longer cream - it's a light teal (with the heavier blotches in patches).

Oh I could just cry.

I guess I'll keep washing it until no more dye comes out. Then I'm hanging it out to dry (e.g. whatever is left will get set by the heat).

(Yes the fabrics were pre-washed before piecing and quilting).

So sorry this happen. But does the cream that is now a tealish color look okay the way it bleed? I know it's not the invision you were wanting, but take a step back and look from a fresh mind.

I was doing some 1930's blocks and my muslin had some red stains on it. Didn't notice it until I already did the block. So now i just tell people that it is Kool-Aid stains from the 30's. I know I know, they didn't have Kool-Aid back then, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it...LOL
    Old 10-25-2010, 03:11 AM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

sorry that this happened..you must be so disappointed after all the work you have put into it. There is a aussie website www.ozquilts.com.au and they sell synthrapol and retayne. Hope you get all the color out...
    Old 10-25-2010, 03:28 AM

I am assuming you didn't put it in the dryer yet. I had the same thing happen to a quilt that had dark blue stars on white.
    Soak the quilt in Oxyclean for a whilte and then run it through the wash cycle with Oxyclean again. If you find it still hasn't removed all the excess color, repeat. The Oxyclean did removed ALL of the excess blue. I soaked it for two hours and then washed until I felt the white was returned to being white. I admit I didn't run it through the dryer... it was summertime so I hung it outside to dry, and when I gave it to my friend for her birthday, it looked good as new.
    Old 10-25-2010, 08:35 AM

I would certainly have words with that quilt shop owner! Although, it sounds like she probably was trying to get rid of some bad fabric anyway. I'd think twice about buying anything else from her.
    But really, I don't think it looks that bad and I know your Mother will love it no matter what. It's just a shame that you've had to go through this. BYW, Your quilting is beautiful!
    Old 10-25-2010, 08:44 AM

I think it looks like blender material, and I like it. Did you put a picture of the front anywhere? Would like to see that. I bet it's beautiful.
    Old 10-25-2010, 08:52 AM
    Power Poster

I pre-wash all my fabrics, as you did this one, but this experience is a reminder that we need to repeat washing until the rinse water runs clear. I don't usually do this, but I think I will be more conscientious in the future.
    Old 10-26-2010, 01:22 AM

Thank you so much for your kind words, support and suggestions. It really helped calm me down.

I will ring the owner of the quilt store - not to complain, but just to let her know so that she can warn/prepare other purchasers. This fabric does need extra care before use.

A few people have seen the quilt "in the flesh", and they say that they don't notice until it is pointed out. It just stands out and shouts to me.

I treated and washed this item so much that it has got fluffy bits/bobbles on it. I'll have to remove those. The treatments have also reduced the color intensity of all fabrics used. Even the cream isn't the same. It looks like it's be used for years. Not quite the antique look I was going for :)

In future I will use a neutral backing. If anything is going to bleed (which I will do everything I can to prevent BEFORE making the quilt top) - then hopefully it will bleed onto the back.
    Old 10-26-2010, 03:22 AM

I'm thinking you have a good reason to be furious :twisted: If I were in the states I would tell you to hold off on doing anything until I could mail you a color catcher.

IS THERE ANYONE IN THE STATES WHO WOULD MAIL THIS GAL A COLOR CATCHER CLOTH? ASAP?
    Old 10-26-2010, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by GladGrams
    I'm thinking you have a good reason to be furious :twisted: If I were in the states I would tell you to hold off on doing anything until I could mail you a color catcher.

IS THERE ANYONE IN THE STATES WHO WOULD MAIL THIS GAL A COLOR CATCHER CLOTH? ASAP?
    I'd be happy to mail some to her, if I know what to buy and where to find it. I'll see if I can locate some.