Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Washing fabric >
  • Washing fabric

• Washing fabric

Old 04-13-2011, 06:57 AM
    Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Originally Posted by chatonne40
    I am reading all of your answers....
    Now I am just wondering if it is worthed to buy charms or jelly rolls. If it does shrink or bleed but you find out after your quilt is finished what a disappointment!!

In another hand, many of you don't wash those smaller cuts..my question is if most of the fabric shrink, what's happening with your quilt that you work on for so many hours :-( Unless after it is quilted it does not shrink as it is hold by the quilting step??

SOOO confused.... what should I do what should I do?
    To be honest I love the look that quilts get when they shrink in the wash. theres just something about it that appeals to me.
    Old 04-13-2011, 07:24 AM

I wash. I put the smaller pieces in small zippered laundry bag to wash and dry. They dont seem to fray as much.
    Old 04-13-2011, 09:49 AM

I just checked and discovered the piece that shrunk when pressed was a Robert Kaufman. Interesting.
    Old 04-13-2011, 10:03 AM

I'm with you-even wall hangings look good when they are all wrinkled like the wonderful vintage quilts of old.
    Old 04-13-2011, 10:22 AM

Wash! And, I don't know if 'crocking' is a problem anymore but when I was a beginner, sometimes colors would rub off on another while dry. I haven't noticed this these days.
    Old 04-13-2011, 10:39 AM

Oh, try soaking pieces for awhile without agitating, remove from the machine, add water and rinse the same way. The less agitation, the fewer frays. Minimizing or eliminating the spin cycle helps avoid wrinkles. I have also washed smaller pieces in the kitchen sink, gently moving by hand. Let the waters drain and gently press by hand to remove excess water.
    Old 04-13-2011, 10:53 AM

I've never heard of crocking before and it's never been a problem for me. Interesting. I do have some vintage, antique quilts that I'll drag out and see what is going on with them, as one is a red star "freedom" quilt done with turkey red fabrics. If anything will crock, it might be this quilt. I do have some indigo blue log cabin quilts too that might cause a problem. I don't have them boxed or wrapped, just on a shelf in a closet, out of the sunlight, but the fabrics are touching each other.
    Old 04-13-2011, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by chatonne40
    Hello , I was wondering if you wash your fat quarters, jelly rolls and charm packs. I understand we have to wash the fabric to let it shrink, see if it bleeds etc...
    When you get small pieces and if you do not wash those, what happend if it does shrink?

I had 3 fat quarters packs that I sew all around so it does not fray in the washing machine or dryer but then I thought it would take forever for just one charm pack and if it shrink what,s left of my pieces??
    I was fqs in the fine washables net bags, but haven't been washing charms. I just bought 3 packs of the CT batik ones, & am debating about washing them? Maybe wait till I order a few more of them, then use them all in the same small quilt, that should work, right, lol...I always prewash any other larger fabric pieces I buy, don't want to worry about shrinking or fading, down the line, & ruining a quilt piece.
    Old 04-14-2011, 02:54 AM

FQ size and above - I used to always wash. Finally narrowed it down to the problem - RED and batiks. Anything now with red I soak in water to see if it will run...and same with batiks. No color run, no further washing - just hang up to dry. Works for me :lol:
    Old 04-14-2011, 03:59 AM

Well thank you very much everybody for your input. I now have a better idea of what I should do :-)