Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Washing fabric >
  • Washing fabric

• Washing fabric

Old 08-10-2012, 11:48 AM

Just like doing laundry, separate colors into dark, light and whites. I use cold water to wash, then dry on low to medium heat. I find using high heat seems to add extra wrinkles. I take the fabric out of the dryer when it's just barely dry to eliminate most of the "set-in" wrinkles. I use regular laundry detergent. When I wash bright colors like reds, I open the machine as it's washing and scoop us a bit of water in a clear glass to see if there is any color in it. If there is, I will usually run it through a second wash.

I ALWAYS pre-wash...no exceptions whatsoever! I don't see how you can get a straight grain otherwise. I've bought fabrics at the LAQ stores and STILL had them shrink, even though I was told otherwise by the owner upon purchase.
    Old 08-10-2012, 11:48 AM

Just like doing laundry, separate colors into dark, light and whites. I use cold water to wash, then dry on low to medium heat. I find using high heat seems to add extra wrinkles. I take the fabric out of the dryer when it's just barely dry to eliminate most of the "set-in" wrinkles. I use regular laundry detergent. When I wash bright colors like reds, I open the machine as it's washing and scoop us a bit of water in a clear glass to see if there is any color in it. If there is, I will usually run it through a second wash.

I ALWAYS pre-wash...no exceptions whatsoever! I don't see how you can get a straight grain otherwise. I've bought fabrics at the LAQ stores and STILL had them shrink, even though I was told otherwise by the owner upon purchase. After all your work it's just not worth taking a chance!
    Old 08-10-2012, 02:21 PM

I wash the fabric the way the finished quilt will be cleaned. If its a drag-around and in the machine a lot, I wash, hot water and into the dryer. If it will cared for very carefully, I will wash in cold and damp-dry in dryer. If its a wall hanging that may not see a machine, I don't wash it at all.
    Old 08-10-2012, 05:02 PM

I always pre-wash. Too much money and too much time and effort to create a quilt to have either bleeding or shrinkage screw it up. Beside, I enjoy the whole process of quilt making. I'm not one who just wants to get it done.
    Old 08-11-2012, 05:35 AM

observation: if washing shrinks, wouldn't ironing distort? would pressing be better?

Originally Posted by Sewnoma
    I prewash everything except for precuts as soon as the fabric comes home. I do it to remove chemicals, to pre-shrink, and of course to try to stem bleeding. I wash in warm, dry on hot, then fold it right out of the dryer. I don't iron or starch until I'm getting ready to do cutting since there are folds to iron out no matter what. Sometimes I use Retayne if it's a fabric I think is going to bleed a lot.

All that work is a pain but I think I get better results that way. Plus the idea of having to wash and fold all the fabric in my cart as soon as I get home has helped me decide NOT to buy quite as much fabric sometimes and I count that as a good thing!

It's interesting though - it seems like some fabrics RECEIVE bleeds more than others. I've washed reds and whites together in the past and had no bleeding anywhere except ONE of the white fabrics came out pale pink. No blotches, no bleeds on any other fabric...just the one with a surprisingly uniform pale pink. Very strange! I know it wasn't pink going in there!!
    Old 08-11-2012, 10:24 AM
    Power Poster

Welcome from Northern California. There will always be people that swear that their way is the right way. I personally don't mind prewashing (hot wash , hot dryer) then ironing and putting on comic boards. I have had fabrics that came out of the washer fine but the selvage was another color. As been said I have had some running of all colors. I even wash precuts. I do this for all the reasons already mentioned. Some of the worst bleeding fabric came from a local quilt store, I paid more than I normally do for this fabric and didn't want to take any chances. All that said you just have to do what you feel is best for you.
    There will always be certain questions that quilters will have different opinions on. (Wash or not, Tear or not). We all find what works for us and then go that route. Good luck in what you do and most of all have fun. BrendaK
    Old 08-13-2012, 02:06 AM

I wash all my fabric, I just made hunter star quilt dark blue & white , and when I washed the dark blue a lot of
    bleeding. But not all fabric bleeds so it up to ....
    Old 08-13-2012, 02:27 AM

I wash my fabric on quick wash cycle cold water and dry it in the dryer. I also cut a small piece of fabric off the corner so I know it has been pre washed.
    I just don't want to take the chance especially if it is a gift. Better safe than sorry.
    Old 08-13-2012, 03:27 AM

What is the advantage of pre-washing other than dark fabrics that might bleed?
    Old 08-13-2012, 05:10 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by teddysmom
    What is the advantage of pre-washing other than dark fabrics that might bleed?
    hot water .......... shrinkage!