Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • washing fabric >
  • washing fabric

• washing fabric

Old 08-09-2010, 01:32 PM

It's usually best to wash dark colors separate because of the possiblity of bleeding. Just like clothes, separate the lights and the darks.
    Old 08-09-2010, 02:43 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by pieces
    It's usually best to wash dark colors separate because of the possiblity of bleeding. Just like clothes, separate the lights and the darks.
    Which is why the black and white shirt is always in the "don't know which load to put it in" and ends up being a left-over that I eventually wash by itself.
    Old 08-09-2010, 02:50 PM

I always end up putting the 'don't know which load' clothes in the darks. I figure I'd rather ruin one shirt than a whole load of whites. I think only one has gotten dingy on the white parts-it was a shirt that was like the layered look with a black tshirt over white sleeves. DD doesn't even care-she wears it anyway.
    Old 08-09-2010, 03:05 PM

It depends on what your concern is ...is it shrinking or is it running.
    If you like the puckered look and are not concerned about running ... nope no need to pre-wash.
    If you are worried about running/bleeding , soak in a sink and rinse ( unless batik then pretreat with Retayne) , then you can dry on a hanger or rack.
    If you do not want the Puckered look and want the quilt to be as flat as the day you ironed the blocks , yep you need to get the strips completely wet , blot dry on a towel , then use a dryer delicates bag to dry. I would not use the washing machine for get them wet , the agitation will cause raveling.
    If you are concerned about finishes the manufacture puts on the fabrics ... hand wash/soak using 1 gal water with 1/4 cup white vinegar and luke warm water. Rinse twice and line dry.
    Old 08-09-2010, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by ktbb
    it's not necessary to wash except for flannels, which ALWAYS shrink...but I do strongly encourge you to use an all or nothing philosophy to keep yourself happy - if you wash one of the fabrics in a quilt, wash all of them. If you don't want to wash fabrics, make sure none of them are washed. In your case, since you want to use a jelly roll as part of the quilt consider whether the other fabric is washed or not. If other fabric is washed, you should wash the jelly roll, but you can do it gently so you don't lose that edge to fraying...soak it thoroughtly in hot water, for example, or wash it on delicate cycle inside a laundry bag or pillowcase, etc.
    I agree. Use the all or nothing rule.
    Karen