Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • washing fabric >
  • washing fabric

• washing fabric

Old 08-25-2010, 04:29 AM

Wash all fabrics before using them in a quilt. They have excess dyes and chemicals. Each fabric shrinks differently when washed. Its best to preshrink all fabrics so this does not effect the quilt when it is washed for the first time.
    Old 08-25-2010, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Fancy Nancy
    i have noticed from the threads on "how neat are you" that many prewash and iron new fabric before using. the only fabrics i have done this with are ones that i am afraid will run like black, red, purple etc. is it really necessary? what if 1/2 of fabric in quilt is prewashed and other pieces are not. will it "shrink" unevenly? I am just curious b/c I have been told both ways - wash and not wash.
    I made a D9P quilt this winter when it was snowing and I just wanted to get started. Some fabrics were washed, some not. I quilted it in a meander, with wool batting, and when I washed it, I could not tell which fabric was washed and which was not. It was just fine! Washed it with a Shout "color catcher' and nothing ran, either.
    Old 08-25-2010, 06:12 AM

When I use jelly rolls etc. I wash the quilt with synthrapol and toss in a couple of the dye magnet sheets. That usually takes care of any bleeding from the unwashed fabric strips.
    Old 08-25-2010, 08:21 AM
    cjr

I WASh EVERYTHING BECAUSE OF ALLERGIES

Jellyrolls - Bought my first one last week. Leave as purchased with tie on.I washed it by soaking in the sink with soap for a couple of hours. Because there is such a mass of material I wanted it all to get wet. As it was soaking bubbles came up from the center,much like a potted plant does when very dry then watered. Took out of water and rolled to squeeze water out. Repeated with double rinsing. Then I left in sink on a strainer so it was a little higher then sink, till most of moisture dripped out. I dried by laying strips flat on table outside. Very little raggy. Don't know if that is right word, but only way to describe. No distortion of color. I did use hot water.

I think it was a little time consuming but it is what I need to do. I did this in bathroom sink, so everytime I went in I did next step. I usually cut my own strips. There was a lot of little pieces in the sink, mostly points from pinking.

Hope this helps others.
    Old 08-25-2010, 09:18 AM

Washing first will set the color, get rid of the icky "new" smell, pre-shrink, and allow you to know exactly what you're putting into your quilt. It doesn't take long to press and starch it, and I think it's really worth it since you're going to put an awful lot of time and effort into the rest of the quilt.
    Old 08-25-2010, 01:14 PM

I wash all fabrics before I take them to my sewing area, but I don't iron anything until I'm ready to use it. I figure that it's just going to get fold lines from being in my fabric cabinet while it's waiting to be "chosen"!

sue
    Old 08-25-2010, 05:05 PM

Sometimes you want that shrinkage for effect. So it is always a matter of choice. I always prewash with a grab-it sheet to make sure colors won't run
    Old 08-25-2010, 10:59 PM

I have always wash mine too but it is up to you! You could try it both ways & see what is right for you!
    Old 08-26-2010, 01:46 AM

I found that it is not all the dark colors that bleed. I have had pale blues, yellows, as well as some patterned fabrics have bled. So now I wash every thing in HOT soapy water. Yes hot---if it is going to bleed it will then. Not every one washes in cool water and by doing it in hot I can make sure that once in a quilt I will not have any problems once made up. I add vinegar and salt to the water and let it cool that way it sets the dye. I starch and iron it before putting it away. I usually store unwashed in a container until I have enough fabric to wash.
    Old 08-26-2010, 05:06 AM

It is one lesson I learned, I didn't pre wash some fabric and what I sewed came to pieces! I had to re do what I was doing and washed, pressed then sewed again! so all fabric I get will be pre washed and pressed before I do anything! and yes some of the fabric smells cause its been alid up for so long! need to work with clean fabric.
    Mary