Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Washing fabrics >
  • Washing fabrics

• Washing fabrics

Old 10-10-2015, 08:40 AM

Yes wash before cutting or you might end up with a lot of strings from fraying and by the time you trimmed it all up you would if you are like me be ready to throw the whole mess away.
    Old 10-10-2015, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by crowley7
    I have a great deal of fabric that I would like to cut into precut shapes. 10 inch, Jelly Roll, and charms. Should I wash the fabric before cutting up? Thank You.
    I don't but I have read that if you want to preshrink the fabric, hold a hot steam iron over it....can press, but not iron.
    Old 10-11-2015, 12:18 PM

I am a pre washer.
    Old 10-11-2015, 02:37 PM

i am not a pre-washer - too lazy.

I probably would NOT pre-wash the tiny pieces because before using all those pieces, I would have to iron them all out. I don't care to do all that work because I'm lazy

Old 10-12-2015, 10:36 AM

If the choices are 1) wash before cutting or 2) wash after cutting, definitely wash before cutting. If you don't wash your other fabrics (especially ones you might use with these shapes for binding, backing, borders, background, etc) do not wash this either.
    Old 10-12-2015, 11:24 AM

The consensus seems to be either wash the uncut yardage or the completed quilt - but nothing in between.

I read the entries on this thread with interest, hoping someone would say what the consequences of not washing fabric before the quilt is made. First, dyes that bleed will do so more significantly when the quilt is eventually washed. I can see how there might be an advantage in assembly with unwashed fabrics, since many have sizing in them, making the pieces somewhat easier to handle. I'm also guessing that if you make a quilt with unwashed (unshrunk) fabric, you get a nice pucker in the finished quilt from the shrinkage when you eventually do wash it.

Last edited by Manalto; 10-12-2015 at 11:28 AM.
    Old 10-13-2015, 12:11 AM

So far (knocking on wood) I have not had problems with any bleeding or uneven shrinkage when washing finished quilts made from non pre washed fabric. The only reason I ever even started not washing was due to precuts. So I haven't been pre washing but I've noticed recently that I sneeze a LOT when using unwashed fabric, and get itchy hands. So for sure anything that doesn't get washed later (purses, small bags, other household projects) get made with pre washed fabric. For quilts I probably won't but if I keep having these allergy issues I'll have to wash it all. I dread it.
    Old 10-13-2015, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by gale
    ...I've noticed recently that I sneeze a LOT when using unwashed fabric, and get itchy hands.
    The textile industry has used formaldehyde resin for years to prevent wrinkling of fabric. Sensitivity to this chemical is common. When I was a little kid and my mother would drag me along with her when she went fabric shopping, I remember that my eyes would burn when we were in the store.