Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Washing a new quilt >
  • Washing a new quilt

• Washing a new quilt

Old 03-28-2014, 03:51 PM

I always wash finished quilts because I'd rather if it's going to bleed or any seams come loose, I'd find it out before I gift it. I sometimes wish I didn't have to wash first because it looks good before washing, but after washing, I'm still happy with it. I also pre-wash the fabric before cutting because I'm so afraid it might bleed and ruin the finished quilt. All very paranoid!
    Old 03-28-2014, 04:31 PM

http://vickiwelsh.typepad.com/field_...read-this.html
    this was posted the other day a very good read a women tested all different kind of stuff and found dawn detergent to be the best a must read
    Old 03-29-2014, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by craftygater
    DO NOT use dish soap in the washing maching. How Do I know??? I helped my daughter clean up a foot of soap sudds from her utility room floor that over flowed when my son-in-law used dish soap because he couldn't find the laundry soap. They even started to oozz into the hall. Not fun. But the floor was really clean when we were done. I'm sure you have seen TV shows or commercials where the soap is flowing out of the washing machine. That is what will happen.
    You can use dish liquid in a dishwasher even, IF YOU ARE CAREFUL WITH THE AMOUNT. Too much is too much.
    Old 04-03-2014, 02:25 PM

I wash the quilt in cold water, delicate cycle and Orvus Paste. I give giftees washing instructions and recommended detergents. I'm less worried about seams or fabric bleeds than allergies since I have cats. I don't use the color catchers. The only fabric bleeds I ever had continued to bleed for four or five washes and certainly have overwhelmed little sheets. Also I don't use fabric softener or sheets normally since most if my clothes don't cling after drying and I hate the cloying odor.
    Old 04-04-2014, 06:41 PM

I too always wash my quilts before giving them away. Taking a intense look at it after it has washed and dried always lets me catch anything that I had missed prior to the laundry. I also use the color catchers.