Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Washing Quilt >
  • Washing Quilt

• Washing Quilt

Old 08-29-2013, 01:14 PM

I wash them in my washer and dryer, though the largest I've made is queen size. It came out fine. Warm or cold water wash, include a color catcher, on gentle cycle seems to work fine.
    Old 08-29-2013, 01:28 PM

Thank you so much, Prism99. I have not made a lot of quilts, but those I have made are usually double to king size. Hate to admit it, but I haven't washed one yet that I've made - scared to! LOL However, I am about to finish a quilt, Fabric Frolic from the Leisure Arts book Quick and Easy Scrap Quilts. I did not know, when I started it, that I should wash batiks before using, and it is full of batiks. Turning out so pretty, but now I'm realizing I will need to wash it after it is done. It will measure 83" x 97", so maybe I can wash it in my own machine using ... oh, what is it? Syn...pol? As for drying, I think I would just hang it over the back fence to let it dry ... or would that be a bad idea? It is one I am keeping, I think (my daughter usually claims whatever I make as "hers") so maybe I'll wait until spring to wash it when I can dry it outside without strong sunshine. I dunno ... but your reply is very helpful and I appreciate it!

Originally Posted by Prism99
    My guess would be that you could do a queen size. You *might* be able to do a king, but it would probably depend on just how big a king it is, what the batting is (some are thicker/heavier than others), and whether you have a bleeder fabric (may not be enough water to diffuse a bleed).

The dryer would be more iffy than the washer. If the quilt is stuffed in the dryer tightly, it will not tumble (move) enough -- meaning fabric will stay indefinitely next to the holes where the hot air comes out. This will result in burn marks where the holes are. I found this out by stuffing a large mattress cover in my admittedly very small dryer; the white cover came out with small brown circles where it had stayed next to the air holes. You don't want this to happen to a quilt!
    Old 08-29-2013, 01:56 PM
    Power Poster

KerryK, it's Synthrapol. Do you have scraps of the fabrics used in the quilt? If so, you can test them for bleeding. Drop about a 2" scrap in a glass of water, wait a couple of hours, and see if any dye bleeds into the water. After that, rub the damp scrap against light fabrics in your quilt to see if any dye transfers that way. If you do not have an aggressive bleeder, then you are good to go with your washing machine.

Drying on a fence is actually not a good idea. Water weight, even in a quilt that has been spun out in the washer, puts a lot of extra stress on fabric, seams and quilting. Also, you would probably want to cover the quilt with a flat sheet in case passing birds decide to unload. The worst, though, is sunlight. Cotton fabrics have only a limited number of hours of exposure to light before they start fading. A day in sunlight can take years off the colors of the fabric. (To test this, take a couple of scrap pieces of fabric and put them in a drawer; take scraps of the same fabrics and place them in a sunny window. Compare the two after a few weeks, and you will probably see dramatic fading in the sun-exposed fabrics.) Even indoor light, including flourescents, fade fabrics -- albeit at a slower rate than sunlight. This is why quilters with a stash like to keep their fabrics protected from light. Quilters who want to dry a quilt outside typically choose a shady area of grass, sandwich their quilt between two flat sheets anchored with rocks, and dry the quilt flat.
    Old 08-29-2013, 02:08 PM

Oh - I didn't think about the water weight (or the birds!) LOL But I could surely dry it between the sheets with no problem. Yes, I do have some scraps and will take your advice. But I am going to order the Synthrapol since it seems it would be good to initially wash any quilt with it, just in case.

Thank you again for your help. You have blessed my day!
    Old 08-29-2013, 02:11 PM

I do the same.
    Originally Posted by toverly
    I throw mine in the home washing machine with color catchers. I also always wash any quilts I give away. That way there are no surprises for the recipient when they wash them.
    Old 08-29-2013, 11:22 PM

LOL...no kidding...I would rather hand wash than hang out a the laundry mat...
    Originally Posted by Peckish
    I toss mine in my front-loading washer, warm water, regular detergent. Dryer, medium heat.

The laundry mats in my area are absolutely disgusting, anything I wash comes out stinking worse than it did going in. I wouldn't wash a dog bed there.
    Old 08-30-2013, 01:36 AM
    Power Poster

I pre-wash the heck out of the material before working on any quilt. I keep my projects separated. All material for one quilt goes in a separate container. If I have to add to the quilt, I pre-wash the extra. I keep the projects in clear containers with the pattern. And label them.
    Old 08-30-2013, 03:09 AM

If the quilt is meant to be used as a lap quilt, and it is being given as a gift or donation, I put it into the washer without detergent but do add a color catcher or two, using the gentle cycle and cold water. I let it air dry after a few minutes in the dryer. I dried one of my quilts out on the deck once with an old bed sheet under the bottom and another one on top for protection against the sun and birds. Boy, did it smell so nice from the fresh air.
    Old 08-30-2013, 06:01 AM

Here are the instructions that I give to the recipients of my quilts. I only use cold water to wash everything.

How Often Should You Wash a Quilt?

Less washing is better for all handmade quilts. In general, a newly crafted quilt that you use on your bed everyday should only be washed once a year. An antique or heirloom piece should only be washed at most every five years. If your newly crafted quilt is dirty, it should be cleaned more often. In between washing you should air out your quilts, to freshen them.

What detergent should I use to wash my quilt?

Most washing machine and detergent manufacturers these days assume that customers have minimal knowledge of the proper way to wash clothes. Hence they tend to design their products such that they will inflict minimal damage to fabrics, even with regular use. While most detergents are quite harmless to cotton (provided the directions are followed!), some of the additives that are found in certain makes of detergent can be harmful to the fabric if used regularly.

You should always use an unscented, color-free detergent to wash your quilt, and refrain from using any detergent that contains a fabric softener. Fabric softeners and the scents and dyes in regular detergents can damage the fibers in the fabric and so should be avoided. Whatever you do, never use bleach on your quilt! This will certainly ruin the color and will also damage the fibers in the fabric.

The best way to wash a quilt

For regular quilts with 100 percent cotton based fabrics, the following process is a reliable way to get a safe clean wash:

1. Fill the washing machine with cold water (never hot!) and while you wait read the instructions on the detergent container to work out how much detergent you need to use.

2. Add the detergent to the washing machine while the water is filling up, but before you put the quilt in the machine!

3. Stir the water to ensure that the detergent is fully dissolved and there are no parts of pure detergent that could get stuck on the fabric.

4. Pick the shortest, gentlest cycle your machine has. Put the quilt in the machine and select a regular warm/cold water wash cycle.

5. Double rinsing makes double sure that there are no traces of detergent left that may otherwise damage the strands of the fabric.

Drying the Quilt

Put the quilt in a tumble drier on a warm cycle. Using the dryer can cause more fading of the colors in the quilt and also a weakening of the seams due to the heat. For that reason use the dryer for about 15 minutes to remove most wrinkles. Spread the damp quilt flat and squared on a bed with a ceiling fan turned on. It should be dry in a few hours.

Drying it Naturally in the Air

Never hang a wet quilt on a clothes line as this will place too much stress on the seams. Place a sheet over the grass before placing the quilt on the sheet. Make sure the quilt is flat and squared. Put another sheet on top to avoid direct sunlight as this can fade the colors in the fabric of the quilt. Never wring out a quilt as this places unnecessary strain on the fabric and may cause permanent creasing. Do not iron.
    Old 08-30-2013, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
    I don't prewash fabrics, so I like to use the large front-loaders at the laundromat for the first wash of a quilt. I use Synthrapol and hot water. The big washers use enough water so that any loose dye is diluted a lot, and the Synthrapol keeps loose dye particles suspended in water so they get rinsed away instead of settling into fabric. I move the quilt to a dryer as soon as it is finished because I don't want damp fabrics sitting against each other.

My home washer is a front-loader, and in my opinion they do not use enough water to dilute any loose dye sufficiently. (Mine is an Asko, which is pretty small.) It is fine for a quilt that has been washed enough times that I am sure there will be no dye bleeds. My home dryer is too small for a large quilt; I would run the risk of burning the quilt and/or burning out the dryer.
    I also go to the laundry mat and use Color Catchers I have some Synthrapol but haven't used it yet. My home was is an HE top loader and there isn't enough water used to my liking for quilts.