Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Washing Quilts >
  • Washing Quilts

• Washing Quilts

Old 04-18-2011, 05:00 PM

I wash mine on permanent press, cool water, regular detergent. I either dry it in the dryer (winter) or on the clothes line (summer). I figure if it can't be washed, families that get my quilts won't be happy with them.
    Old 04-18-2011, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by mimom
    I was mine with regular detergent cold water and dry on our regular setting. I do not prewash my fabric because I like that crinkle effect from shrinking.
    This is what I do also and I love the crinkled look of the quilt. I do prewash dark reds.
    Old 04-18-2011, 10:11 PM

LAUNDER: cold water...after pre treating any stains. Use a mild soap, like Woolite or a baby soap. Others will leave a residue of soap on the fabric.

DRYING: Do not drape over a rod orclothesline, to dry. Dry flat(trampoline with a sheet laid down 1st works) or in a dryer on medium heat.

STORE: in an old pillow case or sheet, not a plastic bag!!
    Plastic does not breathe and the fabric will rot.
    Old 04-19-2011, 08:29 PM

My family has always tossed our quilts in the washing machine and if it's nice - dried them outside. If not they go in the dryer. No prewashing of fabrics. We feel quilts are to be used and enjoyed. I made a baby quilt for a recent shower gift the MtoBe said she was going to frame the quilt. I told her to use it on the floor and then toss in the machine if it wears out I'll make her another one LOL
    Old 04-20-2011, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Ms Elaine Va
    My family has always tossed our quilts in the washing machine and if it's nice - dried them outside. If not they go in the dryer. No prewashing of fabrics. We feel quilts are to be used and enjoyed. I made a baby quilt for a recent shower gift the MtoBe said she was going to frame the quilt. I told her to use it on the floor and then toss in the machine if it wears out I'll make her another one LOL
    I'm with you. my feeling is they should be used, and the last thing a new parent needs is something that requires "special' care.
    Old 04-20-2011, 06:31 AM

When my quilts are done, I wash on gentle in the machine and use either Orvis or Woolite. I only dry them in the dryer the first time it is washed after completion. After that, unless a utility quilt, it is hung outside on the line to dry. With Orvus, if you have actual stains on your quilt, you need to wash in at least slightly warm water.

Please note: if you have pretty fancy quilting on your quilt, don't ever put it in the dryer. A lot of the design details will disappear when it shrinks. That was really disappointing after paying $250 to have a quilt quilted professionally. But, the fact is, most of your giftees are going to put it in the dryer eventually.

For quilts that are queen sized, I recommend going to the laundromat and using a front loader.
    Old 04-20-2011, 08:00 AM

Thank you ladies for all your wonderful information. This will help me with what to do as soon as I get my quilt finished which will be soon, I hope. I will post a picture of the finished product. Again, thanks to all.
    Old 04-20-2011, 08:42 AM

Same here but I always prewash my fabric. If I have any doubt when it's finished and I wash it, I'll throw in a color catcher. Dry on low heat until it's almost dry then lay it out on a bed to block it a little bit and let it finish drying. I would never iron a quilt after it's quilted.
    Originally Posted by carolaug
    I wash mine in cold water in the washing machine with regular laundry soap. Then I just throw it in the dryer, I do prewash all of my fabric. I take it out when its still warm...so its perfect..no ironing needed.
    Old 04-20-2011, 05:48 PM

i prewash every pc of fabric b4 i use it & wash & dry the finished quilt after it is bound... i use 80/20 batting so it shrinks up a bit.... i love that look.
    Old 04-21-2011, 07:18 AM

I prewash all my fabric. When they have to be washed...I have a dog and 2 cats who are quilt lovers from way back, so they get washed fairly often....I take them over to my son's house since he has an extra large capacity front load machine. I use Orvus soap with everything....I get the 7.5lb. jug from the feed store which usually lasts more than a year. It only takes 1/8 cup per washer load.