Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Washing Quilts >
  • Washing Quilts

• Washing Quilts

Old 01-02-2017, 06:44 AM

Default Washing Quilts

Do you wash quilts before you give them as gifts? I never had - partly because I am usually finishing them at the last minute. But it never occurred to me that I should wash them first. After reading on this forum, I wonder if it is better to wash before giving.
    Old 01-02-2017, 06:53 AM
    Banned

Always. They are handled a lot during construction, collecting skin oils and dander, if nothing else. If you have pets, there will be some of that too, no matter how careful you are. Besides being unsanitary, its bad for the fabric.
    Old 01-02-2017, 07:13 AM

just make sure its hypoallergenic, no dyes or fragrance. I break into full on hives with most detergents
    Old 01-02-2017, 07:46 AM

I wash the quilts I make.. I walk all over mine while I am working on them Then I know my markings are washed off as well
    Old 01-02-2017, 07:53 AM

Always....if for some reason there is trouble, like a seam giving way, I want to know it and be able to fix it. I don't want them to wash it in 6 months and think THEY did something wrong. Same thing with the way they look after washing. Not only is that what I am going for, I don't want them to think the first version is how it should be and then after washing they think it is wrong and they did it. Also, I always do the first wash with color catchers. I don't want to have to advise them to do that. I don't want to give them a chore, I want them to get the finished product and fall in love with it the way it is meant to be.
    Old 01-02-2017, 07:55 AM

I always wash before I give them out as this way I'll know if any of the fabrics will bleed and if a stray thread or rip happens. Rather have it happen to me than them. Plus I use Elmer's glue when I add the binding on plus I starch all my fabrics before I cut on them so in case the recipent is allergic to any of these finishes, it will be taken out ahead of time.
    Old 01-02-2017, 07:55 AM

I always do. Then I can tell the recipient it's washed and ready to go AND they shouldn't be afraid to use it.
    Old 01-02-2017, 08:05 AM

If you make an article of clothing for someone, do you wash it first? If you knit a sweater, socks, scarf for someone do you wash it before gifting it? Just wondering. I never wash my quilts before gifting.
    Old 01-02-2017, 08:37 AM

I have only made a few bed size quilts for others...most "gifts" have been tablerunners, placemats...
    i don't wash any quilt I have finished. I don't use glue, starch, know all my seams are secure, don't drag the article around,and have checked any suspected fabric for bleeding. But, I also know that the recipients are allergy-free. When gifting I simply inform the recipient on "How to wash". When I did knit or crochet, those things did not get washed either. Nor do I pre wash purchased apparel.
    Old 01-02-2017, 08:51 AM

I always wash mine, for all the reasons mentioned. I also send a color catcher with the quilt, if it has bled at all in my wash, and recommend they use it the first time they wash it.