Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Watercolor Quilts >
  • Watercolor Quilts

• Watercolor Quilts

Old 06-29-2007, 07:28 AM

They are all soooo pretty! Great job on colors an dpatterns. :-) Thanks for sharing.
    Old 06-29-2007, 08:21 AM

I have read about the grid interfacing in my book "Fast Forward Your Quilts" but have never tried it. It is supposed to use MUCH less thread.

I don't know if my brain could adjust to laying the quilt out upside down and remembering to sew seams in opposite directions every time. But they sure are pretty.

The burgundy one with hollyhocks looks like a postage stamp quilt with applique.

Thanks for sharing!
    Old 06-29-2007, 08:48 AM

actually the quilt fuse is really simple. You lay down the squares on top of the grid that has blue lines on the fuse, step back to make sure the lightest shade fabrics blend well into the darkest shaded fabrics. When happy then you simply iron on top of the squares. Flip the whole thing over then sew all veritcal lines then turn it to sew vertical lines again and WALA! Flip it over and all of your squares are sewn together. It sure beats sewing them without this fuse! And I never looked at my hummingbird & hollyhocks as a stamp... um.... another idea.
    Old 06-29-2007, 11:13 AM

Some of the first quilts I made were watercolor quilts and was totally fascinated in them. I have never tried the grid before, but used a book that shows how to do these in strip piecing. Its called "Watercolor Magic" by Deanna Spingola.
    It is very easy to do and the quilts in the book are wonderful. I found its a great way to build your stash of fabric and learning values. Hope this helps.
    Old 06-29-2007, 12:23 PM

Your quilts are wonderful, I think I will have to try this sometime. :lol:
    Old 07-08-2007, 07:40 AM
    Suz

Dear Ready,

I think what you are looking for is a watercolor selection of fabrics. I when to "Google" and searched for "watercolor fabrics". You will find a long list of suppliers. You will be able to purchase precut 2" squares of these fabrics.

Suzanne
    Old 07-08-2007, 07:02 PM

I agree that finding the fabric is the hard part, but once you have made one, you will have enough leftover fabric to make a dozen more. I was always glad when the shops were willing to cut 1/8 yd pieces for me!

You really need a vertical design wall to make a colorwash quilt. I did it the cheap-and-easy way. I bought a $2 vinyl tablecloth at walmart and used a Sharpie marker and my 24" long acrylic ruler to draw a 2" grid on the fuzzy back side of it. Then I cut away the excess tablecloth and thumbtacked my "design wall" to the wall. You want to put it in a location that is convenient to stand close to but also where you can move back and look at it from a distance.

Here are some of mine - http://www.gloryquilts.com/colorwash.htm They are a few years old, and the photography is poor; I am better now! ;)

And this is a very short article/list I have on my website about selecting fabrics for colorwash quilts - http://www.gloryquilts.com/colorwash_quilts.htm

I hope it's ok to post those - I'm not selling anything there!

Hope that helps!