Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • We put ourselves down >
  • We put ourselves down

• We put ourselves down

Old 01-24-2018, 03:47 PM

When someone shows a finished quilt, there's no going back to correction for most people. I'd like to enjoy the quilt for what it is, not be distracted by "there's a mistake here, there". Those comments diminish the enjoyment of the accomplishment. It they want crtique, ask for it-privately.

In the grand scheme of things, mem are rarely abused, and usually don't point out their mistakes. Concentrating on the failures (not successes) can lead to a poor self image. Do your best and know noone is perfect.
    Old 01-25-2018, 04:57 AM
    Power Poster

When I first started quilting a friend and I made identical samplers. My points on my Ohio Star were all cut off. I never even noticed it as I was very new to quilting. Well my friend's son who was about 8 noticed it. She was so embarrassed but I just laughed. Leave it to kids!!! She scolded him and I told her to stop it because he was right!!!
    However, he was a child. An adult doing that is just not nice!!
    Old 01-25-2018, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter
    It is sometimes encouraging to know that you can do many steps imperfectly and the quilt still turns out wonderful.
    I must confess that sometimes when I see a picture of a beautiful quilt I will zoom in on it looking for imperfections. I almost always find some. That makes me happy because I realize a quilt does not have to be perfect to be beautiful and maybe I'm not so bad at it after all! I do try hard for perfection but no longer despair if it's not perfect!
    Old 01-25-2018, 06:13 AM

I am going to give a different perspective here. I judge 4-H in many different categories and I see primarily girls pointing out mistakes all of the time. Many times it is the first thing they say to me and it is a self esteem issue. We learn to point out our mistakes because we do not have confidence in ourselves, we tell ourselves we are not good enough and then it becomes an ingrained habit. In the critique it is something I talk about to the 4-Her. I point out what they are doing and encourage them to not point out the mistakes unless the judge asks them about something. I also tell them that I believe in them and their project and I want them to believe in themselves and their project too. Be proud of what you are doing and every moment is a learning opportunity. I can also say from experience the projects that went horribly wrong are the ones where the greatest learning has taken place.

I too, have to work very hard at not pointing out my mistakes, whether it is quilting or other things and it is a tough habit to break.
    Old 01-25-2018, 06:59 AM

I have always been told that quilters make 'mistakes' to humble their quilts because nothing is perfect except God. So they make all their quilts 'humble'. Or maye their mistakes create a new pattern or a new look to the quilt pattern.

Most of mine are verrry humble, but I still enjoy them and so does the friends and family I 'gift' them to in the past. They are loved and used and I love that about my quilts. I am not perfect yet (at 75 years old) and not likely I will ever be perfect. Thank God neither is my dh, so our marriage has lasted almost 52 years and counting onward in life. Enjoy every day, find love and laughter to enrich your life. I enjoy quilting, never real serious about it and yes, I make mistakes. I will ask if I want help, otherwise just enjoy the fact the quilt is finished and rejoice that it is done.
    Old 01-25-2018, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by PB from MN
    I am going to give a different perspective here. I judge 4-H in many different categories and I see primarily girls pointing out mistakes all of the time. Many times it is the first thing they say to me and it is a self esteem issue. We learn to point out our mistakes because we do not have confidence in ourselves, we tell ourselves we are not good enough and then it becomes an ingrained habit. In the critique it is something I talk about to the 4-Her. I point out what they are doing and encourage them to not point out the mistakes unless the judge asks them about something. I also tell them that I believe in them and their project and I want them to believe in themselves and their project too. Be proud of what you are doing and every moment is a learning opportunity. I can also say from experience the projects that went horribly wrong are the ones where the greatest learning has taken place.

I too, have to work very hard at not pointing out my mistakes, whether it is quilting or other things and it is a tough habit to break.
    A college professor once told me do not tell anyone the mistakes you made or what you should have done differently in your project before you begin your presentation. I think that is one of the most important things I learned as a college student.
    Old 01-25-2018, 01:32 PM

I used to make dance and pageant costumes. If I pointed out an imperfection to a friend, she replied, ""It won't show on a trotting horse." Meaning a sequin that wouldn't lay perfectly in an underarm seam wouldn't show when in use. Let's apply that to our quilting. Most of our quilts are meant to be used and loved, not inspected.
    Lately I have been wearing a elastic strung bracelet on my wrist. If I say anything negative about myself, I snap it. I think it has cut down on my perfectionistic nature. It was to be a rubber band, but when I tried that, I kept wanting to put it away.
    Several of these posts made me laugh out loud. Thank you.
    Old 01-25-2018, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby
    I try to be realistic about my quilts, and only if I pay attention to what I do and don't like about it, can I make improvments and changes for the next one.

I do the same thing with my baking - I want honest answers to "what do you think?" because I'm not asking to get a "feel good" answer, I want a real answer so I can make adjustments.

I feel that if someone asks for opinions, we should give honest ones. If someone just shows a picture to share and does not ask for opinions, then I'll keep them to myself.
    This is me also. I don’t need compliments, I need constructive criticism.
    Old 01-25-2018, 03:05 PM

Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes: Self doubt is the sign of a true artist. Perfect confidence is awarded to the less talented as a consolation prize.

Following that line of thought makes me feel like Picasso! lol
    Old 01-25-2018, 03:16 PM

My three thoughts on imperfections, be it in a quilt or in yourself:

A quilt is like a good life - lots of mistakes along the way, but in the end it looks pretty good.

Never say anything bad about yourself. That's other people's job, and they are more than happy to do it. You don't have to help them.

Done is better than perfect. Perfect never gets done.

Last edited by cathyvv; 01-25-2018 at 03:22 PM.