Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • A Wedding Dress quilt? >
  • A Wedding Dress quilt?

• A Wedding Dress quilt?

Old 04-25-2010, 08:58 AM

It's a great idea if you want to have a usable object from something is just stored away for no reason. You can then use it and enjoy it - great idea - I have heard of women donating their dresses for charity quilt auctions and such
    Old 04-25-2010, 09:12 AM

I've seen Christening blankets and teddy bears made from wedding dresses. How about Communion dresses? A bed runner? And if the dress brings back not-s0-good memories, how about covering the couch or dog bed or a throw for the back of the pickup. I agree, it's a shame to waste all that beautiful fabric.
    Old 04-25-2010, 09:26 AM

I've heard of this recently and I think it's becomming quite a popular thing to do. I'm thinking about doing that with mine. My two daughters bought new dresses so no one else will ever wear it. My dress was homemade by my mother with satin and some lace and I would love to see it more of a keepsake than just a dress that hangs in the closet. (Where it's been for the last 35 years.) I was thinking of trying to make two items that I could give to my daughters. I like the idea of getting another dress from Good Will to have more fabric to work with. I'll be looking for pictures of some that you all have completed :)
    Old 04-25-2010, 09:34 AM

I LOVE this idea. My dress is in a cardboard box still torn from when my DH stepped on the skirt when carring me over the threshhold. My DD will never wear it. I also like the christening gowns and ring pillow ideas.
    Old 04-25-2010, 10:34 AM

Where I come from, it was customary to make the Christening gown from the wedding dress. This was then worn by both baby girls and boys - an event that really surprised my DH
    Old 04-25-2010, 12:53 PM

53 years ago my aunt made my dress, it was about $20. 26 years ago, I made my daughter's dress and it cost us about $110. this year her daughter bought her dress, It was $800. my how things have changed. My daughter couldn't wear mine, she was taller and had longer arms, so I cut two sleeves off and took the pointed wrist part with all the covered buttons and made them into shadow boxes for her and her brother . they got married within 6 weeks of each other. I took part of my dress, some of the material from hers and wedding things like invitations, silk flowers etc. and made the shadow boxes and gave them for their first ann. They loved them. I would have anxiety if I saw them cut up that $800 dollar dress.....
    Old 04-25-2010, 12:54 PM

I've never heard of this, but what my sister did was have her wedding dress made into a christening gown. It did come out beautiful. Sort of tied in the whole process.
    Old 04-25-2010, 01:19 PM

I've been thinking about this and the more I think, the more I like the idea. This is totally going on my to-do list. No one will ever want to wear my dress since I have boys and christening gowns are out since we are Baptist. I may make a couple ring bearer pillows for my boys in addition to the quilt. Thanks for the idea.
    Old 04-25-2010, 02:46 PM

I have made quilts out of prom and after five dresses. I posted some pics of one of them, but I never thought about cutting up my daughters wedding dresses. But the more I think about it, the better I like the idea. But instead of one quilt I may make christening dresses (Baptists call this a dedication service) along with a nice size baby quilt to go along with them. My only granddaughter is already married but I have several grandsons and I hope there will be several babies in the next few years. Probably will even have enough fabric for ring pillows because the youngest girl was married in the '80s, long train, big puffy sleeves.
    Old 04-25-2010, 02:52 PM

I have never heard of this but if it were me I would doa crazy quilt using all the fancy stitches on my machine. Nice batting and a cotton (pre washed) backing. You know it will never be used since it really cant be washed. Well it could be drycleaned. Sounds like fun I envy you Jeannie