Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Wedding Guest Quilt >
  • Wedding Guest Quilt

• Wedding Guest Quilt

Old 04-12-2013, 09:04 AM

Another idea for the singing table. Have several file folders, the kind that you open, on the table. Something like hanging file folders.
    *The folders are prepped with very fine sandpaper glued inside.
    *A"window" just a little smaller than what will show in the quilt, is cut into the front flap of the folder. (An exacto knife works here.)
    *The helper puts a piece of fabric (larger than needed; just a larger seam allowance) onto the sandpaper in a marked area; close the front of the folder and the area visible is the only place in which the guest can write.
    Have fun making your quilt.
    Old 04-12-2013, 09:46 AM

I have done this once last year. my picture is this one. and I am in the process of doing my second one right now for my second daughter getting married in a week. They work fabulously. Remember to get fabric pens for the guests to sign with.
    Old 04-12-2013, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by MarthaT
    I just finished a signature quilt from my daughter's wedding. I pieced the blocks from scraps of things I had made for her throughout her growing up years. We used muslin for the signing area. I prewashed it so it would take the ink well. We used micron pens with freezer paper ironed to the back of the muslin area. It worked great. We just scattered the pieced blocks over a table in the foyer of the reception area for guests to sign as they came to the reception. Since there were a variety of prints, the guests picked something they liked. I ironed all the signatures to set the ink. Later I pieced them into a quilt. Several things I would have done differently...1. I should have told my niece who was in charge of the table to have each person sign a block. (I think some husbands didn't want to sign, so the wife did theirs together.) Several had the whole family on one block. So I had lots of unsigned blocks that could have been signed if we would have pushed for one block per person. 2. I should have marked the signature area with a washout marker. There were a few signatures that got very close or into the seam area. Especially on one that wrote a sweet note to the bride and groom.
    Regarding suggestion 2, I would suggest placing directions around on how you would like people to sign the blocks - where and what (i.e. their greetings, wishes, etc. and their signatures). I just did blocks for my cousin's wedding and should have marked the signing area, because I also have some that are very close to the seam lines and I will have to change the quilt pattern I was going to use.

I did wash all the fabrics, but mainly because 3 of them are reds (which I washed with Retayne) and I was afraid of bleeding into the muslin. Also, even though I didn't mind combined signatures (for couples), I wish people had signed them, not just put their greetings on them. Some were very artistic.
    Old 04-12-2013, 09:59 AM

I wish I had done this. So much less worry and stress and prep time. I am still trying to get mine complete. Maybe by the June anniversary date. :/
    Originally Posted by Holice
    Consider having guest sign fabric for the back more space to write
    Old 04-12-2013, 10:03 AM

I really like the quilt Emiliasnana shows here. The way she done hers would look fantastice in your colors. You could put a sunflower in each block & ivory where her white is for your guests to sign. Congrats on your up coming wedding. If you done the blue & ivory as strip piecing & then cut the blocks, it would go together really fast.
    Old 04-12-2013, 12:12 PM

All great ideas.
    Old 04-12-2013, 12:44 PM

What about an ivory on piece heart in the center, next round out do yellow and sash in blue?
    Old 04-12-2013, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by joyce888
    Yellow Brick Road and Turning Twenty (there are at least 3 books of Turning Twenty) are both easy and quick patterns.

A snowball block is easy and you could make your corners in each color
    Old 04-12-2013, 03:59 PM
    KLO

I also did a quilted wall hanging for my daughter's wedding. It was a small wedding. She was going to carry Calla Lillies so I found a pattern with two of these flowers on it. I used that paper pieced pattern for the center then made blocks to go around it. I did piece it before the wedding and quilted it afterwards. Yes, we did have one person sign it upside down before her brother realized what was happening but she was not upset and actually found it very memorable. I think she loves that that happened now. He was a great uncle who was well into his 80's and was very fond of her.

Yes to putting freezer paper on the back to keep the fabric flat and to keep it from "slipping". And yes to marking somehow the area to be signed although I did not need to since my blocks were already in the quilt.

I would also definitely have a large scrap of the signage fabric (or two if there will be a lot of people signing) ironed onto freezer paper so people can try out the pens and get a feel for how they flow. That was a huge help for people who were a bit timid about doing the signing.

I quilted the borders with words appropriate to the newlyweds and they now have it hanging above their bed. It is a bit "wavy" but they don't seem to care. We love her and her husband for the great people they are.

Good luck with what you are doing. When you are done, you will treasure that quilt forever no matter who writes what and where it ends up on the block!!! lol
    Old 04-12-2013, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Holice
    Consider having guest sign fabric for the back more space to write

Great idea!