Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • We're quilting!  Need more advice. >
  • We're quilting! Need more advice.

• We're quilting! Need more advice.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by wesing
    7x, mema and BKrenning - Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm seeing now that my original post may not have been clear. I have taken it off the quilting frame and thought I could quilt the borders on a regular sewing machine. When I tried to run it through the machine it kept jamming up, even though I had the feed dogs down (I was using a regular foot). I have a foot that has an "arm" and a clear, square hole, but I must have not installed it correctly because the machine wouldn't sew when I had it on.

BKinCO - Thanks for the encouragement. This is for our "honorary" nephew whose grandparents live on a farm. He loves to ride the tractor!

Darren
    This may be a foolish suggestion, but did you put your pressure foot down? Even though you are doing free motion the pressure foot has to be down to put tension on the upper thread..... Ask me how I know :roll:
    Old 04-20-2010, 09:15 PM

Love your quilt, the corn fabric really makes it pop. I'm sure it will be a big hit with your honorary nephew. How old is he?
    Old 04-20-2010, 10:10 PM

that is a cool quilt i need to make one that has john deer stuff on it i was thinking i spy on a farm, but i like yours better. i think coyote quilts is right on may be the presser foot was up is the back of the quilt thread loopy or lose thats what happened when i was learning i forgot to lower the presser foot, i hope thats all it is if not rethread the machine and check you bobbin make sure every thing is ok before you try again the free motion quilting foot is the right one i call it a darning foot, also if your trying to use the walking foot and it wont let the needle go down then it's not on correctly on both feet there is a little bar that sticks out it needs to go over the screw that holds the needle tight.
    Old 04-20-2010, 10:33 PM

Plastic square with an arm sounds like a walking foot. Your feed dogs need to be up for it to work properly and the arm needs to be over the screw to tighten your needle. Darning feet or Free Motion Quilting feet are round.

Walking foot
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]54447[/ATTACH]

Plastic darning foot
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]54509[/ATTACH]

Metal darning foot
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]54510[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-54447.jpe   attachment-54509.jpe   attachment-54510.jpe  
    Old 04-21-2010, 12:32 PM

I have a mega quilter and the way I set it up is lst attach the backing to your leader on the main rail and then put the batting on leaving 2inches from top of backing and attach batting or let it float. It seems like you waste fabric but it will fix the problem of sewing the leader on your quilt (I also leave about 6 inches on either side of quilt with backing and batting...) Then I attach the quilt approx 3-4 inches from the top of the batting leaving both batting and backing sticking out and then roll the sandwich up on the rail til you get to the top of the quilt and where you want to start...quilting and this will stop the problem -- I am not sure how to fix the quilt after you have taken off the quilt frame maybe adding some backing and re-attaching it to the quilt frame it is easier than you think --- I have even switch a quilt around to finish quilting it without too much hassel.... The instuctions I got with the mega quilter helped... I hope this helps you...enjoy quilting
    Old 04-21-2010, 04:32 PM

cute quilt, add some fabric to the back, and then quilt the borders.