Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What am I doing wrong cutting long strips that they bow? >
  • What am I doing wrong cutting long strips that they bow?

• What am I doing wrong cutting long strips that they bow?

Old 02-25-2011, 06:07 PM

Squaring off is what I meant by trimming. No you dont have to starch but if you have a thinner fabric it sure helps alot. Remember the ruler is alot like a measuring cup, you have to look directly down on it to read it properly. I also use an Olipfa with the lip which helps.

Keeping the blade perpendicular sounds so easy until you try to do it. You might be turning your wrist as you pull up toward the end.

Practice in front of somebody who teaches or works at your LQS. They will be able to correct any bad mechanics in a heartbeat.
    Old 02-25-2011, 06:43 PM

Do exactly as Gaigai has shown you & you should be fine. You can look at the ruler & tell when fabric needs straightened again. Also do you open your fabric, shake it & make sure the salvages are even? When it's put on the bolt, it sometimes gets distorted so I realign it by refolding it lining up the salvages too. Good luck!
    Old 02-25-2011, 06:50 PM

Sooooooo many great tips!!!!!!!
    Thank you all!
    David
    Old 02-25-2011, 06:58 PM

I use the june tailor shape cut slotted ruler, you can cut in 1/2 in increments, makes strip cutting a lot easier for me. I have a harder time with just the plain ruler
    Old 02-25-2011, 07:07 PM

Make sure before you straighten that your fold hangs straight without any ripples. Hold the selvage ends in your hands and shift until your fold is straight. Learned this in the Fon's & Porter's Basic Guide to Rotary Cut Quilts. Makes a huge difference.
    Old 02-25-2011, 07:16 PM

The more times you fold your fabric the more likely you are to get a bow in it. I used to have the issue until asking my grandmother about it. She had me show her what I was doing. The first thing she said was I was folding the fabric too much to make it fit my ruler/cutting board. I would end up with a bow at every fold. I went and bought a huge cutting mat and a long ruler. I have never had a bow again. Also like everyone else mentioned make sure you are squaring and straightening your fabric.
    Old 02-25-2011, 07:42 PM

I agree that the edge of ruler needs to be exactly lined up with the fold of the fabric. Keep that edge toward you. If it's 22 inches away, you can't get as clear a view. Do not use the selvages as your straight edge. I assume you are using a ruler at least 6 inches wide. If not, you can butt another ruler up to it check for exact straightness. I always straighten the fabric first, whatever it takes and keep an eye out for any loss of exactly straight after a few cuts.
    Old 02-25-2011, 09:08 PM

First, I match the selvages and make them even...I pin the fabric then press...then I square off the fabric...I use 2 rulers...I put my 12 inch ruler along the fold line, 12 inches acoss so I know that my ruler will be a perfect straight line...then I line up my long 24 x 6 inch ruler next to it, also placing it along the fold line...I remove the 12 inch ruler and then I cut...NOW I know I have a perfect 90 degree angle...and my strip will not be bowed... if your fabric is not perfectly even along the selvages, then you will get a bowed strip...thr trick is also to have a nice wide ruler , 6 inches at least, so taht you can really see clearly if the ruler runs along the fold line..
    Old 02-26-2011, 12:51 AM

David,
    Anita Grossman Soloman at Make it Simpler has lots of good ideas but a really good way to start out is not to try cutting 22 inch strips. Fold your fabric in half again or just cut it so you aren't working with such long strips. Then your ruler won't slip on you so much. Simply Quilts- Alex Anderson also shows you some helpful ideas about squaring up the fabric. Go to Leah Day at http://www.daystyledesigns.com/, she has some helpful videos for free.
    Old 02-26-2011, 02:45 AM

The fabric is not on grain, it's that simple. I have always realigned the fabric, never use it the way it comes off the bolt.

Unfold the fabric,, press out the center, hold the 2 selvages edges together, move the fabric left or right untill there is no distortion in the folded edge. There will be bumbs & bubbles in the fold when it is not straight, but as soon as the grain is aligned, the fabric will lay smooth.

I then lay it on the ironning board, press from selvage edge to fold, being sure to keep selvages together. If you get a bubble when pressing, it's still not onn grain.

Have done this method for over 40years & it works, just a little practice to learn.

Good luck