Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What am I doing wrong? >
  • What am I doing wrong?

• What am I doing wrong?

Old 06-01-2011, 04:03 AM
    Banned

i know you said you had figured it out but did you remeasure your strips and your seam allowances.
    Old 06-01-2011, 04:07 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by KimS
    Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
    Kim after you sew your 4 blocks together to make 1, it should be correct. Remember that 1/4" seam? Let us know how it turns out.
    When I sew them together using the scant 1/4" seam I'm still going to have the uneven outside edges. Right? This is how I'm seeing this. One side of the individual piece measures 4" (the 2 strips sewn together) and the other side measures 3 1/2" (cut pieces from strip) not including the seam allowance. That doesn't make a square like they say it does. Understand what I'm saying? This is really making me feel like a dunce. LOL!!
    Give it a try on scrap fabric or paper and if it is too big, just trim it down. Once you get into quilting more, it will make sense. We've all been there.
    Old 06-01-2011, 04:07 AM

Ok. I went back and used a full 1/4" seam instead of the scant 1/4" and now the individual blocks measure 3 1/2" x 3 1/2". Going to fix the other pieces and see if that doesn't match up. Whew! I knew this shouldn't be that hard!!
    Old 06-01-2011, 04:12 AM

I don't think the strips are joined with a SCANT 1/4" after all, even though the instructions specify that. If you use a full 1/4" does that help?

Because I'm at work (shh) I used post-its and notecards to simulate fabric, a desk ruler to measure the pieces and scotch tape to "sew" them together (after trimming out the "scant" 1/4" seams). I'm getting the same results you are using the same instructions.

I don't think it's you. I'd try one with a healthy 1/4" seam and see if that helps.
    Old 06-01-2011, 04:13 AM

Ok. I went back and used a full 1/4" seam instead of the scant 1/4" and now the individual blocks measure 3 1/2" x 3 1/2". Going to fix the other pieces and see if that doesn't match up. Whew! I knew this shouldn't be that hard!!
    Haha! Sorry, I must have been writing when you posted - great minds think alike! :-)
    Old 06-01-2011, 04:22 AM

Do we have a dunce hat around here? If so....send it my way! I was using the scant 1/4" seam they said to use in the pattern but when I used a full 1/4" seam everything squared up. Thanks everybody!! You're the best!! :thumbup:
    Old 06-01-2011, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by JulieR
    I don't think the strips are joined with a SCANT 1/4" after all, even though the instructions specify that. If you use a full 1/4" does that help?

Because I'm at work (shh) I used post-its and notecards to simulate fabric, a desk ruler to measure the pieces and scotch tape to "sew" them together (after trimming out the "scant" 1/4" seams). I'm getting the same results you are using the same instructions.

I don't think it's you. I'd try one with a healthy 1/4" seam and see if that helps.
    You are sooooo creative. :-) When I did use the full 1/4" seam the pieces lined up perfectly. I won't tell anyone you helped me while you were at work. ;-)
    Old 06-01-2011, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by JulieR
    Haha! Sorry, I must have been writing when you posted - great minds think alike! :-)
    This is a perfect example of how even the ones who write the patterns aren't always right. I spent 3 hours on this last night and finally got so frustrated with it I turned off the lights and went to bed. HAHAHA!!! Before I even touched anything this morning I headed here to ask for help. Love this group! So happy I found it. :thumbup: :-D
    Old 06-01-2011, 07:08 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Holice
    i know you said you had figured it out but did you remeasure your strips and your seam allowances.
    Ditto!
    And be sure that when you cut each of the 3-1/2" pieces that it is exactly that, and square!

Is your 1/4" exactly that ... if I use my 1/4" foot and sew as is, it will not be 1/4", UNLESS I move the needle over.
    Old 06-01-2011, 07:27 AM

You said you were using a jelly roll. Did you cut it down to 2" strips? If you're using 2" strips, you need to cut the sections 3.5" wide, but if you're using 2.5" strips, you need to cut the sections 4.5" wide.