Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • what am I doing wrong >
  • what am I doing wrong

• what am I doing wrong

Old 04-10-2018, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by suern3
    I found small leather dots that adhere to the finger that I use to push the needle while sewing binding. I found that I can't use a regular thimble after trying different types, but I was tired of sore fingers. Found the leather dots at a quilt shop and I love them. I forget it is even there and no more sore fingers! I wish I could tell you the name but don't have the outer packaging. They seem a little pricey initially but you can reuse them for quite awhile. I usually end up losing one rather wearing it out.
    This is what I use, too, and works great. I can use them 2 or 3 times before using a new one....I just adhere it back to the sheet in the package.
    Old 04-10-2018, 05:49 PM
    Power Poster

I am curious as to how long a thread you are using as well as the thimble contacting the thread as you push the needle. A shorter thread is better, about 18 to 20" long. The longer the thread the more it wears as it is pulled through the fabric. I had the same problem as you and over time just naturally adapted to nudge the thread out of way of the thimble. I am a left handed quilter and do everything opposite.

Keep stitching and you will eventually develop your own style of moving the needle.

peace
    Old 04-15-2018, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by carolynjo
    That sounds like my friend, Tommy Lane. She measures your finger and makes you a thimble. I have had mine for over 25 years and I love it; it has a space for my fingernail at the top; it is the most comfortable thimble I have ever owned.. She used to be at quilt shows, so hope she is still able to do that.
    Her name is Jan and she lives in Iowa. That's all I know of her. Sorry it took so long to answer this, but I haven't been checking my recent posts enough. I met her on the trip to China in March.
    Old 04-15-2018, 08:57 AM

I've not heard of the adhesive ones so thanks all for sharing! That's going on my "need" list! I also can't seem to use a traditional thimble but would love something that protects the pad of my finger!