Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What am I missing (or am I really that dumb)? >
  • What am I missing (or am I really that dumb)?

• What am I missing (or am I really that dumb)?

Old 04-07-2011, 09:38 AM

Suzi, I haven't done one of these, but I have sure been in your position. Sometimes it is really frustrating. Hang in there, and all of a sudden it will happen,
    Old 04-07-2011, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Charley
    i noticed that you have a lot of hexes with the same fabric grouped together. I think they should be scattered to create more interest. Just a suggestion.
    Not necessarily - look at my Critter Kaleidescope. I grouped the browns and dark colors in different areas, put in some Cubes and swished some whites through the center. I think it works.

Every OBW is different. A design wall is where you make decisions what looks best to YOU. 2 people with the same hexes would decide on entirely different arrangements.
    Old 04-07-2011, 10:22 AM

Oh sure, it always comes down to what each individual likes. It was just my 2 cents worth. I thought the piecing and fabric choices were great! I love it!
    Old 04-07-2011, 10:22 AM

I've been more worried about stacking and then cutting it wrong. Can't wait til the 15th for my course![/quote]

QuiltE: Is your course online or at your LQS? I've been looking for one to go to.
    Old 04-07-2011, 10:23 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Joyce29
    I've been more worried about stacking and then cutting it wrong. Can't wait til the 15th for my course!
    QuiltE: Is your course online or at your LQS? I've been looking for one to go to.[/quote]

LQS .... why don't you come?
    (yes, a tad long of a commute! :))
    Old 04-07-2011, 10:28 AM

LQS .... why don't you come?
    (yes, a tad long of a commute! :))[/quote]

LOL. Thanks for the invite (I've been known to do some crazy things - but my free flying priveleges don't take me to Canada

:)
    Old 04-07-2011, 12:02 PM

Thank you for the explanations. I think I would have had the same question, now I know ahead of time.
    Old 04-07-2011, 12:27 PM
    k3n
    Power Poster

I did a you tube tute on joinging the rows together because although I think the books are excellent and very clear, I can imagine that the row joining could cause problems. Anyway, you seem to have got the hang but otherwise, take a look... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUnPDdjHZdE

:-D :-D :-D

Re the design layout - I personally think they work best when like hexes are grouped together - doesn;t have to be in blocks, can be diagonally or whatever - it varies with the fabric and the blocks you get but scattered doesn't really give the impact that this technique requires and you can just end up with a busy mess. I'd advise you to really read and take in the tips in the book on sorting your blocks and grouping them together on the wall. Then play around with them, over several days if necessary, and take photos and look at them on screen (that clarifies the layout for me always). Until your happy with it. Your eye should flow around the quilt, perhaps pausing here and there at outstanding blocks but never completely coming to rest in any one spot. Good luck - the design can be challenging but a successful OBW is a thing of beauty! Joanne S's (she posted the link to it above) is a fabulous example as it's a limited colour palette but VERY striking in design terms. :-D Here's the link to her's - sorry, she hadn't posted it but I'm sure she won't mind if I do! http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-113203-1.htm
    Old 04-07-2011, 12:46 PM

I was looking forward to trying this one day and then reading all the instructions here had me thinking that it would be way to hard. Looking at your photo just explained it all. Thank you
    Old 04-07-2011, 02:53 PM

k3n - thanks so much for the links to the tute and to JoanneS's OBW. Her OBW was the one that let me know I could go ahead with a muted fabric and hopefully create something enjoyable. I'm not using squares in mine though and I have very little light value showing .... am getting anxious to get this done (I only have 3 rows sewn - life keeps getting in the way --- ;o))

Thanks to all the women who sent encouraging PMs - this is just the most fantastic board populated by the most fantastic people. I will post a picture of the quilt when it's done along with the picture of the original fabric. Someone asked in this thread where this fabric was from and I honestly don't know. It's been in my small stash for awhile and was my 5th. choice for an OBW since the first 4, when laid out, just didn't work for me.