Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What books do you find useful? >
  • What books do you find useful?

• What books do you find useful?

Old 09-06-2009, 09:12 AM

The Complete Guide to Quilting by Better Homes and Gardens was the first how to quilt book I bought. It was a clearance at borders for 5.98.
    I have seen other books on clearance since then so be sure and look for them at Borders and Barnes and Noble.
    Another great way to buy quilting books is thru Edward R. Hamilton Bookseller Company- Falls Village, CT 06031-5000. You can get tons of them for under 5 dollars. And shipping is 3.50 for your whole order.
    He sells all kinds of books but as soon as you order quilting he sends catalogs with lots of it in them.
    Old 09-06-2009, 11:16 AM

I'm a newbie and very book oriented, too.

As it happens, I stumbled on The Quilters Ultimate Visual Guide: From A to Z that AtHomeQuilting recommended, and it was so good I bought it. It's remaindered now, which means you can get a good price on it. It's a great beginner's guide and reference.

Someone on here recommended The Art of Classic Quiltmaking by Harriet(?) Hargrave and someone else. If you want to learn by making the classic blocks, this is a great book to do it with. (The other one is more for reading about aspects of quilting, supplies, etc than a step-by-step for making quilts, IMO.) It seems to be out of print, so I had to order that one through Amazon, too.

Or get a bunch out from your library (get others via inter-library loan) and see which ones work for you. For example, someone recommended a Fons & Porter book to me. I found it interesting to look at but completely unhelpful to a beginner. They assume you know things that I just don't know yet.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:49 AM

One book I recommend to everyone I meet who wants to learn to quilt is Carol Doak's: Your First Quilt Book (or at least it should be) its very user friendly in an easy to read format (this book is great even for the young teen). I still refer back to this book all the time.
    Muriel
    Old 09-06-2009, 04:03 PM
    Power Poster

I got started by checking books out of the library. These days also check the video and DVD section. It really helps to see some of the techniques demonstrated.

There used to be several wonderful series about quilting on TV. Unfortunately, some have been discontinued and are not currently being re-run. Check your tv channels (I think HGTV was one good one for these types of programs). Some of them are now available on the computer. I don't have the particulars, but there is now a quilting website you can join for a rather low fee and watch tons of quilting videos.

Also check http://www.youtube.com for quilting videos. There are many helpful short videos there, including quite a few for beginners.
    Old 09-06-2009, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie
    The Complete Guide to Quilting by Better Homes and Gardens was the first how to quilt book I bought. It was a clearance at borders for 5.98.
    I have seen other books on clearance since then so be sure and look for them at Borders and Barnes and Noble.
    Another great way to buy quilting books is thru Edward R. Hamilton Bookseller Company- Falls Village, CT 06031-5000. You can get tons of them for under 5 dollars. And shipping is 3.50 for your whole order.
    He sells all kinds of books but as soon as you order quilting he sends catalogs with lots of it in them.
    I have a number of books but The Complete Guide by Better Homes and Gardens is my overall go-to book for instructions. It has a lot of really good material and is referenced so I can easily find things I need to look up. I also have Fons and Porter's guide mentioned, but I have the old first edition. If you get it, look for the later one.