Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What causes birds nests on quilt back? (picture included) >
  • What causes birds nests on quilt back? (picture included)

• What causes birds nests on quilt back? (picture included)

Old 06-14-2011, 05:38 AM

Ok I'm new to sewing and quilting. What is a bobbin washer and bobbin genie? I am trying to learn all I can.
    Old 06-14-2011, 05:40 AM

Oh, so it's your top thread? Okay, when you first start, do you hold onto your two threads? Or does it just do it randomly throughout the project?
    Old 06-14-2011, 05:56 AM

I had a problem like this.... My TOP tension was the problem...
    If the top is too tight you can get the bird nest...this is what I was told .... be sure the bobbin is wound properly... if it is wound too loose, this can happen also if it too tight... My repair guy showed me this... all is better now...
    Old 06-14-2011, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by skippitydodahquilts
    Oh, so it's your top thread? Okay, when you first start, do you hold onto your two threads? Or does it just do it randomly throughout the project?
    Yes, that nest in the picture is my top thread. I hold both thread tails when I begin quilting and take several stitches before letting them go. This nesting is happening randomly throughout the the quilting. It will be going along perfectly and then nest up then jump right back correctly and move along. Like I said before, sometimes I can hear it happen (sounds a little like the machine is bogged down for a second) but other times I don't know it's happened until I turn the quilt over.

Today I'm going to try the topstitching needles my husband brought home and I'm going to put a heavier weight thread in my bobbin.

I wouldn't be so frustrated if this was the first problem I was having with this machine but it's been one thing or another from day one. I'm just getting really tired of fighting with it.
    Old 06-14-2011, 06:16 AM

I'd say return the machine for another or get your money back. Life's way too short to not have a smooth running machine.
    Old 06-14-2011, 06:22 AM

I hope today is a better day for you.Let us know if you resovle the problem. :)
    Old 06-14-2011, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
    Originally Posted by skippitydodahquilts
    Yes, that nest in the picture is my top thread. I hold both thread tails when I begin quilting and take several stitches before letting them go. This nesting is happening randomly throughout the the quilting. It will be going along perfectly and then nest up then jump right back correctly and move along. Like I said before, sometimes I can hear it happen (sounds a little like the machine is bogged down for a second) but other times I don't know it's happened until I turn the quilt over.

Today I'm going to try the topstitching needles my husband brought home and I'm going to put a heavier weight thread in my bobbin.

I wouldn't be so frustrated if this was the first problem I was having with this machine but it's been one thing or another from day one. I'm just getting really tired of fighting with it.
    I would use two different colors of thread so you know for sure which thread is being a problem. If it's the top thread your problem is somewhere in your top thread path.
    Old 06-14-2011, 06:44 AM

This is like a good mystery, hoping for a happy ending.
    Old 06-14-2011, 06:59 AM

I can appreciate you not wanting to mix colores on the bottom....however once it is washed...believe me you will not notice....I agree with someone else here in that I think your bobbin thread to too thin for your top thread....

I would suggest like someone else already did about making a practice sample with everything the same. Then start at one corner with this thread and that bobbin..FMQ. stop...write on the top what thread and what bobbin....check your work. if unhappy...try another combination...write on top then check the work....you should find the correction combination thru trial and error....
    Old 06-14-2011, 07:37 AM

I have a longarm quilting machine and I find if you pull the bobbin thread up to the top this will stop, and you can also buy a plastic washer to use in the bobbin. Both of these things work for me