Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What causes birds nests on quilt back? (picture included) >
  • What causes birds nests on quilt back? (picture included)

• What causes birds nests on quilt back? (picture included)

Old 06-14-2011, 08:03 AM

This is out in left field, but some Viking Sapphires had problems like this, caused by the top thread jumping out of the take up lever. It was mostly solved by threading the take up lever from left to right.

However, you paid enough money for this machine to warrant a sit down with the dealer about it's shortcomings. It may be operator error, or they may be something seriously wrong with the machine.

Janet
    Old 06-14-2011, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by skippitydodahquilts
    The only time I get a bird's nest is if I don't bring the bobbin thread up through the sandwich...this may be a dumb question, but you are bringing up the bobbin thread through the sandwich, right? ;)
    This is the same for me. And if I don't hold the threads for that VERY first stitch it seems there is enough "give" that the birdnest appears. If I have a fussy one, I first check bobbin (you did), check the bobbin case for dust, loose threads etc that bobbin might catch on when rotating. If that doesn't work, a new needle is a must. I try to get straight stitching to work on a similar sample piece, and then go back to FMQ. If all else fails, I use Sulky monofilament thread (clear or smoke) in the bobbin. Sounds crazy, but the bobbin will hold a lot of it, and it doesn't show on the top or the back.
    Old 06-14-2011, 10:15 AM

I get bird's nests if I forget to put the foot down and engage the tension. When I have a puffy quilt under the foot and I get distracted or just do a dumb thing I forget to put the foot down and what a mess.
    Old 06-14-2011, 10:45 AM

Tension most likely.
    Old 06-14-2011, 11:28 AM

I was having a lot of problems the other day when I was making a Bow Tuck with the bobbin nesting, every couple stitches....So...I put in a brand new needle and a brand new bobbin....no problems since....I think sometimes some of the bobbins just get wound funny, too slow, too fast....
    Old 06-14-2011, 12:06 PM
    Kas

Rachel, you could just have a lemon. My first 640 kept making a clunking sound and then the thread would break. It was so annoying! I hate stopping and starting while quilting. Anyway, they kept telling me to change the position of the spool of thread, have it horizontal, vertical, thread comming off this side, no, that side, blah blah blah. Then the tech had it happen to her. She took the shell off the needle bar part and the thread was jumping back under a guide it was only supposed to travel through once. After having it in the shop to fix this four times in a month and a half, they just gave me a new machine. I love it to pieces, now, but I was ready to throw it in the river for a while!
    Old 06-14-2011, 12:11 PM

Your stitching looks great!! I actually get some of these sometimes, and I have a BabyLock Quilters Choice Pro machine on my quilting frame. Even the most advanced machines still are not perfect. Depends on thread, needle, speed you move,....so many variables!!

Good luck.
    Old 06-14-2011, 12:57 PM

I have always had problems when I use 2 greatly different weights on top and on the bottom - especially for FMQ. Usually it's just the balance that's off (I don't like the look on the bottom, usually), but it may be contributing to your bird's nest issues.
    Old 06-14-2011, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
    Originally Posted by skippitydodahquilts
    Oh, so it's your top thread? Okay, when you first start, do you hold onto your two threads? Or does it just do it randomly throughout the project?
    Yes, that nest in the picture is my top thread. I hold both thread tails when I begin quilting and take several stitches before letting them go. This nesting is happening randomly throughout the the quilting. It will be going along perfectly and then nest up then jump right back correctly and move along. Like I said before, sometimes I can hear it happen (sounds a little like the machine is bogged down for a second) but other times I don't know it's happened until I turn the quilt over.

Today I'm going to try the topstitching needles my husband brought home and I'm going to put a heavier weight thread in my bobbin.

I wouldn't be so frustrated if this was the first problem I was having with this machine but it's been one thing or another from day one. I'm just getting really tired of fighting with it.

Have you talked to the dealer? Does the nesting happen if you start and stop, or are while you're quilting, or both?

Something I've found is that I never fill the bobbin all the way because if I do, it splays (the metal stretches out because the threads nest in between each other). and that messes with my tension and it ruins a bobbin. So lay your bobbin next to another one and see if the one you're using lays over the other one. Even a millimeter will mess things up!
    Old 06-14-2011, 02:35 PM

Take it back, take it back and take it back...Bernina the company has always stood behind their machines....but lemons do happen to all machines across the board. they are make in factories on production lines....TAKE IT BACK,....and stand firm with your dealer you want a no charge replacement (now)