Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What is the Christmas memory impressing you most? >
  • What is the Christmas memory impressing you most?

• What is the Christmas memory impressing you most?

Old 11-07-2010, 09:32 AM

What is the Christmas memory impressing me the most? One year, very long ago, my husband had left, there were 4 little ones and no money. A friend came bringing us a large dog food bag full of such things as toilet tissue, dish soap, paper towels, laundry soap, etc. It was the most loved and appreciated gift I have ever received...before or since. I now use that theory for gift giving for anyone on my list having it a bit rough. Even those with great jobs have appreciated a basket of cleaning supplies, etc.
    Old 11-07-2010, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by quiltinggrandmaca
    I am sitting here reading these with tears in my eyes. They are such heartwarming stories. Such precious memories.
    Same here. :| They aren't necessarily making me sad -- just touching my heart.
    Old 11-07-2010, 09:41 AM

Isn't it nice to see how memories help us remember more too.
    When I was divorced & had a 2 yr old, I had made "everything" every last pkg or can in my kitchen, as I unexpectedly had people comeing extra for Thanksgiving dinner. Divorced & poor, I paniced not knowing what to do now. In a couple days, I had someone at my door donated a couple boxes full of groceries to me, what a blessing!
    And a very nasty neighbor I had trouble with, called me to look outside on my car. I looked, saw what I thought was a huge snow ball on top, thought how he was so mean to do this. Ran outside, to discover it wasn't snow, it was a huge turkey, his way of saying sorry for being mean I guess, I thanked him, and we got along fine.
    The police, which where often involved during my divorce, also knew I was poor with a little one, and they came over with a small decorated tree & a few gifts for my little girl.
    The hearts of others are so huge, and so greatly appreciated. I don't approve of those who "work the system", but those who are needy, it's always nice to "pass it forward" (ever see that movie, a tear jerker).
    It's also important to think of people, beyond Christmas, food is appreciated for Easter, mid summer, all year...and those on food assistance can't buy TP, cleaners, or diapers on this, so that is even more important to give.
    We've also always donated (quality, still very nice condition) toys, clothes, dishes, everything to local charity thrift shops, lots easier than running a garage sale.
    Old 11-07-2010, 09:43 AM

stevendebbie25: Your stories of your son and your family have blessed me. They make me appreciate even more the family I have and the great love between my fiance and me. Thank you for reminding us of how precious life really is.
    Old 11-07-2010, 10:05 AM

{{{{{{Stevendebbie25}}}}}}} thank you for sharing the true meaning of Christmas. I'm am so sorry about the loss of your son.
    Old 11-07-2010, 10:31 AM

Oh ladies, I'm not sad..don't mean to upset anyone, Christmas is a time to celebrate and full of love & giving.
    Our son suffered 9 mo., he's in a beautiful loving place now, and much better than what he had to go through. I'm blessed he was in our lives, and thankful God has him and he's no longer in pain. We miss him of course, but his love is always with us.
    I know the ornament tradition we share now, I told to a lady in Canada who lost her son, and she's starting that now for her family too. I love hearing ideas, and sharing them.
    I bought a lot of those "with Jesus this year" ornaments, and give them to someone I know who's lost a child (any age), and a friend who lost her twin sister. Who ever made that ornament was really special.
    I hope you all can share memories, ideas, traditions, please don't be sad over my sharing, not at all my intent.
    Old 11-07-2010, 10:36 AM

I love the story of the ornaments and celebrating your son's birthday. What a very nice way to honor his life.
    Old 11-07-2010, 01:21 PM

One year I made my grandmother simple block tied lap quilt. Nothing like my "master" quilter grandmother ever made. I'll never forget her response to my pitiful attempt "It was beautiful and it was the first time anyone had ever made HER anything." She treasured that pitiful little lap quilt until she passed. We never know when the simplest of gestures can set hearts aglow!
    Old 11-08-2010, 06:02 AM

WARNING:EXTREMELY LONG OFF-TOPIC
    My best Christmas memory hasn't to do with quilting, but stands out above all my others. As a military family, we moved quite a lot. No matter where we were during the holiday, we always had the same three cookies that I began baking from the time our first child (now way past 50 years of age!) could 'help' stir the batter. Over the years the ginger creams, candy canes, and Mexican wedding cakes continued to appear. Eventually, my daughter took over the job of chief cookie maker, and continued this tradition. My youngest son insisted on a batch of the ginger creams as part of his wedding reception(!); the eldest usually requested a box for Christmas..so it continued. Nineteen years ago, my daughter married an Aussie, and Victoria became her home.. On my first trip out, one of the cherished items requested by her was B'rer Rabbit molasses for her favorite cookie...and so it goes:)
    Old 11-08-2010, 06:16 AM

I was 12 when my parents divorced and after that money was an item we didn't have a lot of. Christmas was always special and we just enjoyed being together even if there was only 1 gift under the tree that the 4 of us had to share.
    At the time we didn't feel dirt poor...we loved each other.

With my kids Im still the same way. my husband on the other hand grew up with nothing and thinks he has to over do it for our kids....we alway have huge fights at the store during holiday shopping. I usually storm out the the car and he buys to his heart content. On christmas day the kids enjoy my homemade gifts the most because they know that they have something special from mom.