Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What did I get myself into?? >
  • What did I get myself into??

• What did I get myself into??

Old 03-30-2013, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by lots2do
    Oh boy, this is not a good idea in my humble opinion. As a Mom, a Grammy and a teacher, I wanted little gifts my kids had made.
    But why not allow the school owner to give a gift, too? Would you object about a gift to YOU from a teacher?
    Old 03-30-2013, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by coopah
    As a retired 2nd grade teacher of 31 years, add 10 of being the room mom, just learn to say, "no." The idea is that a Mother's Day gift should be something the kid made. So go with the muslin idea...they can draw on it with markers or crayons (put newsprint over the crayon and iron to set the crayon). OR...go to Hobby Lobby, Michaels, Target, Ikea, the $ store and pick up cheap undecorated wooden frames for a buck apiece and let the kid draw of picture of Mom for inside the frame and write with markers "I love you" around the frame. This should be the KID'S work, not YOURS. Your teacher is way out of line to ask you to do such a thing. I know where she's coming from...parents request the teacher that produces nice "gifts" and stuff, but it will end up biting her in the backside. Ask me how I know.

Would someone show me the law that prevents a school owner from give the moms of student a gift from her?

Please read the post for what it is. Not what it isn't.
    Old 03-30-2013, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane
    Personally, I would have declined. For Mother's Day?? They aren't my Mother and while that may seem mean spirited, I thought of Mother's Day was for the CHILD to honor their Mother, not the teachers. Also, I don't really have a problem with the teachers helping, but again, personally, I would rather see teachers teaching.

Again, I'd like for someone to point out in the Mother's Day Guidelines, where it says only children are allowed to give mothers gifts. Our church gives all moms a potted plant for Mother's Day. I've never yet heard one single mother object to receiving a flower paid by church funds.
    Old 03-30-2013, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Loretta
    I agree with Deedum. That is a lot to ask of someone. Most parents would rather have a piece of paper if their child made it than something someone else made to give them.
    Again, why would a parent resent a gift from the school owner?
    Old 03-30-2013, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by ShirlR
    Ohhh, I so agree! Either that or she wears a Size One hat! Mothers appreciate and hold dear anything their children make themselves.
    And mothers will turn down gifts from other folks?????? Sounds like the mothers need to learn a few lessons in gratitude.
    Old 03-30-2013, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by be a quilter
    really??? What are you talking about?? This isn't a grade or reward for them, it is helping them to make something for their moms. If you read carefully you will note that i implied to let them do it with help where needed. I am not an advocate of rewarding where it is not earned and why you want to make this an argument about that is anybodies guess??
    The woman asked for ideas not all this other nonsense!

what "be a quilter" said!
    Old 03-30-2013, 12:32 PM

What a job.......however, I was thinking.......have help like the boss, have white or muslin fabric..............paint hand of each child...........imprint onto the fabric.........personalized. I would assemble the rugs first and put child's name with a pigma pen on the back.......taa data done.......calla
    Old 03-31-2013, 06:09 AM

Thanks for the clarification on post #89. That clarification helped me see the project as involving the kids and doable. This sure has opened discussion and interesting viewpoints. Good luck and if time permits, it would be really nice to see a few pics of the kids and the mug rugs. Have fun with it.
    Old 03-31-2013, 08:53 AM

You tell em Grannie Annie!!!!! LOL you make me laugh, but I am with you!!! Some people need to get off their brooms!
    Old 04-02-2013, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan
    You could make them with a plain muslin back and have the students sign or colour them with markers.
    This is a great idea! My younger sister is a teacher (3rd graders) and she often has the students do designs on plain muslin with fabric markers or crayons and has them pick fabric they like...A few years ago each child did one block a month and each child ended up with a nine-block lap quilt. Another year they did four blocks...I think they did the four seasons...Those kids were very talented and had a nice keepsake!