Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What is the difference between Starch and Perfect Sizing >
  • What is the difference between Starch and Perfect Sizing

• What is the difference between Starch and Perfect Sizing

Old 01-06-2012, 07:50 PM

I didn't use to use sizing but now I am beginning to prefer it. Seems like it does get the wrinkles out better and adds body to your fabric without making it stiff.
    Old 01-06-2012, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by pinkberrykay
    I love the Best Press, but I have been going thru it like crazy so I wanted something a less expensive for wall hangings and such.

QUOTE=Grace creates;4849819]I use sizing and learned this from an owner of a LQS. It gives a little body and stiffness and get the wrinkles out. works well for me. I really like the Mary Ellen Best press but it's a little pricey so i go to the dollar store and buy sizing.
    [/QUOTE]

I use the Best Press too! You can water it down and get the same results. I have done as much as 50% water, 50% Best Press. I am a pre-washer due to skin allergies. I use the diluted Best Press, spray it on the fabric, let it sit for a couple of minutes, then I press. My fabric still comes out wrinkly free and with some firmness to it that makes cutting so nice. I usually get mine at Hancock Fabrics and I use a 50% off coupon from Joann's. I have never seen it at Joann's.
    Old 01-06-2012, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by pinkberrykay
    Not sure what a silver fish is.
    silverfish is the larval stage of an earwig...with are not native to all parts of the country so may that is why...they do indeed resemble a small 1/2" thin fish shaped but and appear to be made from paper when you smack them, they just disappear into silver dust...
    Old 01-06-2012, 10:32 PM

sizing gets a bad rap as many manufacturers use it to make the fabric feel better quality than it is...we've all washed fabrics that lost all their 'body' after wash/drying...what they really lost was all their sizing...it has its uses and starch over sizing is really just personal preference... just buy a can of both and try them...the starch will make it much stiffer and may be repeated for more body... the sizing gives body with the shine of starch... some people like one and some like the other... $5 will settle it for you....
    Old 01-07-2012, 10:01 AM

Love Sta-Flo liquid starch, but the smell of Best Press is so lovely, I love it, too. It takes some of the pain out of ironing/pressing. Wafts of scented steam... Caribbean Beach or Cherry Blossom.... gorgeous scents!