Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • what to do with "well loved" quilts >
  • what to do with "well loved" quilts

• what to do with "well loved" quilts

Old 01-10-2011, 03:48 PM

I have several of my grandmother's quilts. They're stored in the closet. You've give me some good ideas about displaying them instead.
    Old 01-10-2011, 07:00 PM

I use the OLD COTTON BATTING quilts over the air mattresses as a 'bottom sheet' as a barrier. Seriously, it DOES NOT MOVE during the night and gives extra warmth underneath.
    Old 01-10-2011, 07:13 PM

I made my first quilt over 20 yrs ago. I worked for mths. Every stitch by hand. A good friend gave me antique fabric for alot of the squares. I wash and dry it so many times a yr. It is the "bedspread for my bed".
    We also have a beagle that until recently, slept on top of my quilt every night. Some of my blocks started dryrotting. I didnt know what else to do but to cut more blocks. I trimmed away all that I could of the bad ones and stitched(by Hand) the 3 new blocks and quilted them to match. Noone can tell except me so I was proud of my work.
    Old 01-10-2011, 07:13 PM

I made my first quilt over 20 yrs ago. I worked for mths. Every stitch by hand. A good friend gave me antique fabric for alot of the squares. I wash and dry it so many times a yr. It is the "bedspread for my bed".
    We also have a beagle that until recently, slept on top of my quilt every night. Some of my blocks started dryrotting. I didnt know what else to do but to cut more blocks. I trimmed away all that I could of the bad ones and stitched(by Hand) the 3 new blocks and quilted them to match. Noone can tell except me so I was proud of my work.
    Old 01-10-2011, 07:27 PM
    Banned

I just got a very old, pretty beat-up old quilt at a garage sale for $8.00. It's a beautifully quilted Texas Star, perfectly pieced and hand-quilted--but with a couple of ink stains and a hole about two inches round, plus just some wear rips in a couple of places. I'll fix what I can and then use it folded and put over a chair. Great idea, whoever it was who suggested that!
    Old 01-10-2011, 08:20 PM

cover it and with a new front and back and you will know whats in the middle and cuddle up with the knowledge of whats inside. a warm and fussy feeling
    Old 01-10-2011, 09:04 PM

A friend of mine had a quilt such as yours. What she did was buy enough tulle to cover the top and quilted it on with monofilament thread. The tulle protects the quilt fabrics and you still see them. Of course she doesn't use it, but she sure has saved it. I thought that was a great idea.
    Old 01-10-2011, 09:37 PM

A friend of mine had a quilt from DH's mom they found in the house they inherited when his dad passed. The one that was in real bad shape she took and cut the good parts into hearts and embroirdered I love to quilt on it then framed it like a picture and gave one to each family in their family. She also included me abd I will always treasure it knowing her family. Some of it went for pillows for decoration in the guest room. She of course removes them for company since they are special.
    Old 01-10-2011, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by dogsgod
    I have seen pieces of old quilts framed and also made into teddy bears,etc., or display it in one of those glass top coffee tables
    :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Old 01-10-2011, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by grammydar
    I love watching the conversations on this board. There are too many to keep up with. But everyone is so friendly and helpful. I just wanted to say thank you.

Now, I have a quilt top that DH grandmother made 30 years ago, then after a fire 17 yrs ago and bad washing decisions, an amish friend quilted it.
    Now the fabric is falling apart. Because of who made it and the history of it, I hate to just throw it out. What would you do with it?
    My kids don't really want it, and DH said whatever I decide is ok.

Thirty yrs. ago I inherited a log cabin quilt that had wool red block centers and the remainder of the fabric was recycled clothing. When I picked it up in fell in pieces, moths had eaten many of the centers and the rest of the was too fragile t reconstruct. I carefull detached the blocks that had remained intact, took them to a frame shop and had them framed in acid free matting & glass. For the past 22 yrs. they have adorned the walls of my home and will for a long time to come.

Good Luck with your heirloom...
    Andie