Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • what to do with "well loved" quilts >
  • what to do with "well loved" quilts

• what to do with "well loved" quilts

Old 01-11-2011, 01:19 PM

if there are only places where the fabric is worn, then do the following in those places only. if the whole quilt is shredding then do a complete job:

cover with a layer of tulle, as close as possible in color. very carefully, tack around the worst places. if it's terrible all over, then tack all over. you're trying to stabilize what's left. use the smallest stitches you can, but be sure that you go through to the batting. you don't want the tulle hanging on to fabric that's already fragile. do the same to the back, if necessary, as well as the binding. if there are outright holes, carefully make tiny running stitches around those holes into the batting before you lay on the tulle, then continue from there.

you can display the quilt, but don't hang it flat on a wall. the drag from the weight will tear it apart. fold it and lay it on a quilt rack or (preferably) the foot of a bed, making sure that you refold it often. if you are lucky enough to own a glass case, that's best, because it keeps it dust-free. do not vacuum it. do not lay it in the sun. don't ever use it or wash it again.

i know it sounds dirty, but when textiles are restored in museums such as winterthur, which is famous for it's textile collection, this is the method they use.
    Old 01-11-2011, 01:24 PM

My son has one my grandmother made for him and it is about 20 yrs old and wore out I am going to patch it the best I can as long as I can because she always wanted her quilts to be used and loved and the wear on them shows how much he loves it
    Old 01-11-2011, 01:36 PM

I have a crazy quilt made from velvet and silk (?) It has wonderful embellished stitching. Some of the fabric seems to almost be disappearing. I had it put away for awhile, but I now have it in my den, away from any sunlight. It's sort of like the good dishes that we never used to use....Why do we have them if we keep them hidden away.
    Old 01-11-2011, 02:05 PM

I find old tattered quilts at thrift stores. Sometimes I get them for $2.00-$3.00. I cut them up using only the best parts. Sizes vary depending on their condition. Then I rebind them. After that I scorch them slightly with a very hot iron. Key word being SLIGHTLY. These I sell at craft shows. The table runners seems to sell first. Then the mug rug size.
    Also, I line thrown away desk drawers, painted or not, with the same quilt fabrics. Great for out in the open storage. These are a big seller.
    Old 01-11-2011, 04:04 PM

I used to make teddy bears for people out of old quilt that they wanted to keep but couldn't part with but were no longer usable for quilts
    Old 01-11-2011, 04:04 PM

I used to make teddy bears for people out of old quilt that they wanted to keep but couldn't part with but were no longer usable for quilts
    Old 01-11-2011, 04:05 PM