Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What to do with a handmade wedding gift? >
  • What to do with a handmade wedding gift?

• What to do with a handmade wedding gift?

Old 05-29-2014, 05:02 AM

I also think we have a tendency to put way too much emotion into what is in the end, just stuff. I do not want anything that I make and give to become a burden in any way to the receiver of these things. If I thought that it could lead to hard feelings in any way, I wouldn't do it. Of course, I am not in the least a sentimental sort.
    Old 05-29-2014, 05:07 AM

Wow! There are a lot of different ideas here..... good ones. When you get any gift, it is yours to do with as you please.

But...... you've only been married 5 years and styles change. You will look back at 10 years and 20 years or more (I've been married 49 years) and think, how in the world could I have liked that?? And something else will be popular and who knows, that quilt may be the perfect thing for you at that point. If not, that's okay, too.

I assume the relatives that made things for you are older than you. I think I'd keep the items until they are gone. I think I would be hurt if someone gave away a quilt I'd made for them. But I don't make a quilt for someone unless I know them really well.

I'm just glad I don't have your problem..... please let us know what you decide to do.
    Old 05-29-2014, 05:09 AM

.......five years ago.......in closet.......not my style........hopefully your style will undergo many changes thru your lifetime........these were made for YOU by someone who thought enough of you to give of their time, effort, talent and love......part of their life not something purchased for you from your wedding registry at wherever!!!!!

your say you are a quilter........do you make and gift your creations.........want to know they are being passed on to someone else just because.....

If this were the norm.........there would be no antique quilts......no memories of those who are now gone....no Dear Jane....

I have been very careful in my many years of quilting to whom I gift a quilt to.......rather they sit in my closet than given away by recipient of same to a stranger because...............needless to say I learned this lesson the "hard way".

I have things made for me by beloved family/friends who are no longer here...these things are used, maybe not regularly, but occasionally...and my children know they are special and will honor them also, when I am gone.

...and sadly I have rescued several quilts from estate sales that were unwanted by family.....now they are mine to enjoy, use and pass on along with their history--what I know of it.........

Off my soapbox.......have my flameproof suit on.........
    Old 05-29-2014, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B
    .......five years ago.......in closet.......not my style........hopefully your style will undergo many changes thru your lifetime........these were made for YOU by someone who thought enough of you to give of their time, effort, talent and love......part of their life not something purchased for you from your wedding registry at wherever!!!!!

your say you are a quilter........do you make and gift your creations.........want to know they are being passed on to someone else just because.....

If this were the norm.........there would be no antique quilts......no memories of those who are now gone....no Dear Jane....

I have been very careful in my many years of quilting to whom I gift a quilt to.......rather they sit in my closet than given away by recipient of same to a stranger because...............needless to say I learned this lesson the "hard way".

I have things made for me by beloved family/friends who are no longer here...these things are used, maybe not regularly, but occasionally...and my children know they are special and will honor them also, when I am gone.

...and sadly I have rescued several quilts from estate sales that were unwanted by family.....now they are mine to enjoy, use and pass on along with their history--what I know of it.........

Off my soapbox.......have my flameproof suit on.........
    No flames from me! When someone gives me a handmade gift, I tend to view it as a 'piece' of that person. It may not be 'my style' but if I care about the person who gave the gift, I cherish the gift.
    Old 05-29-2014, 06:51 AM

I have a quilt that mom made and gave to me that isn't my style or colors or anything. I will not ever give it away and have no idea what will happen to it when I'm gone. My kids don't care for things like this and seem to not have any sentimental ideas whatsoever. I keep it hanging on one end of a bed that we don't use except when the kids come to visit. She's 89 and has dementia and doesn't even remember making it but I know she put a lot of time into it. It's up to the individual what to do with gifts and I don't make anything for anyone anymore without them asking for it. It's easier on my feelings that way. Perhaps you could display it in a room that's less used.
    Old 05-29-2014, 08:09 AM

yeah, I get that. My Mom always told me she wanted a brown quilt. Careful what you wish for?
    If I do end up with the quilt again, it will be precious to me in a funny way, but I was okay with letting it go when I gave it to her.
    Old 05-29-2014, 08:39 AM
    Power Poster

I think you should do what your heart tells you to do. Maybe there is someone in the family you could pass them on to?? I have a beautiful bedspread that is crocheted and hasn't seen the light of day in many years. I bought it at a church sale. I would never get rid of it!
    Old 05-29-2014, 11:41 AM

My mother's closest friend made us a quilt when I got married the first time. It was totally not my style, but I was appreciative of it because she put a lot of work in to it (I didn't even sew, let alone quilt back then, so I couldn't imagine the time it took to make it). It got used intermittently in the years between 1991 and about 2001, and then I started using it a lot. The friend passed away after a horrible battle with breast cancer. Recently, I retired the quilt because most of the quilt stitching had come out and it has a couple of holes in it. I couldn't get rid of it if I wanted to - it just means too much to me now. So, no, I wouldn't get rid of it if it was me, but you have to do what you feel is right.
    Old 05-29-2014, 05:08 PM

Okay ladies & gentlemen, I would like to thank you all for your thoughts and ideas. I really appreciate that no one was critical or harsh with me. The reason this came up was that I am in a phase of my life right now where I need to get rid of clutter. I've been packing up and donating unused items (clothes I haven't worn in years, duplicate kitchen items from when my grandparents passed away, etc). I came across the blankets while cleaning and they met my "unused" criteria.

However, my husband has decided that he wants to use the crochet afghan as a TV blanket, so it is now in our living room AND IS ACTUALLY GETTING USED! I will probably be getting rid of a different, unsentimental blanket instead.

And the quilt I spread out on my bed and flipped it over, something which in all the hustle and bustle of the wedding I had apparently never done and I read the label my great aunt made. She named the quilt "A New Beginning" and included the date and location of the wedding. I have decided to keep the quilt and have vacuum sealed it in a space bag for storage in my cedar chest. Maybe someday I will redecorate our bedroom from maroon and pale gold and will want a pink and purple quilt.

Last edited by kaelynangelfoot; 05-29-2014 at 05:19 PM.
    Old 05-29-2014, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
    Personally, I would hang on to them. Lives change in unexpected ways, and they could mean a lot to a family member later on.
    I agree with this opinion.