Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What to do with large image fabric >
  • What to do with large image fabric

• What to do with large image fabric

Old 11-19-2012, 03:48 AM

My go to large print fabric quilt was the Oriental Garden quilt... http://spotlight.com.au/inspiration/...-garden-quilt/ It works up fast and is gorgeous when you're done. I've already made three of them.
    Careful of the cutting though. They did not fix the cutting instructions for the sashing or not... I emailed them and they sent me updated cutting instructions but they didn't fix the error online. They said they were taking it off the site but it's still there, at least for now
    Old 11-19-2012, 03:58 AM

I always use fabric like that as backing. Otherwise, it goes into potholders.
    Old 11-20-2012, 06:10 AM

How about a kaleidescope quilt?
    Old 11-20-2012, 06:41 AM

Maple Island pattern company has several patterns that work great with large print fabrics. Easy directions and they come with multiple sizes so you have lots of options.
    Old 11-20-2012, 07:28 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by jeank
    I love this quilt, the main blocks are 9.5" square, no loss of pattern there.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...o-t205991.html

The pattern is free here:
    http://www.benartex.com/uploads/Imag...VAS/denovo.pdf
    thanks so much for this link
    it's a good Go-To pattern when you need a quilt fast
    am adding to "I just can't cut it" which is my usual go-to

Last edited by gollytwo; 11-20-2012 at 07:31 AM.
    Old 11-20-2012, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltaddict
    Any of the BQ patterns would work great. I love those patterns.
    What are BQ patterns?
    Old 11-20-2012, 07:41 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by coffeebreak
    What are BQ patterns?
    Maple Island Quilts
    Old 11-20-2012, 08:31 AM

to showcase a large print I like the Maple Island Quilts BQ pattern. the pattern cost $8 but i have used it so often that I think my cost per quilt is probably 50 cents!! It includes directions for 2 different sizes and difinately has a "quilt" look. Also fast and easy. You can have a look at www.mapleislandquilts.com.
    Old 11-20-2012, 08:40 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric
    My go to large print fabric quilt was the Oriental Garden quilt... http://spotlight.com.au/inspiration/...-garden-quilt/ It works up fast and is gorgeous when you're done. I've already made three of them.
    Careful of the cutting though. They did not fix the cutting instructions for the sashing or not... I emailed them and they sent me updated cutting instructions but they didn't fix the error online. They said they were taking it off the site but it's still there, at least for now
    Ooh, thanks for the link! I love that and what a great pattern for Asian prints. Thanks!
    Old 11-20-2012, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by coffeebreak
    I want to make a christmas quilt and was looking at fabric today. I like using the small squares (3," finished) size and making item blocks (like a block that is a star or a pinwheel etc) out of HST's. But in looking at the fabric...the "image" print is all to big for that. If I ut a 3,1/2 sq out of it to make a HST...the image I am trying to capture would be deminished. For example...there was one with some cute santa's on it...they measured probably 3 inches sq....I couldn't use that to make a HST....the image of the santa would be cut off. Unless I cut a very large square to capture the design, I couldn't use that print. And even at that...It probably wouldn't look good as a HST, simply because it is so large.

So what can you do with this larger image fabric and still have the "quilt" look to it? "quilt" look meaning the squares and designs made out of the squares. I know they would work as sashes, but I was designing a quilt with square of christmasy items...like the little santas or reindeer or holly..in a HST with a solid opposite side. I know I can make this pattern the center of a block like a Northern Star and have the solids be the points...but so many of the quilts I make are that same pattern, I was hoping for something different. Any suggestions?
    Go here http://www.quilterscache.com/BlocksbySizeC.html - the 12" blocks should have many that would fit your requirements. Advice: just browse through the list with a note pad so you'll know where to return. Look at pages 1, 2, etc. for each block design to see further possibilities for quilt settings. Quilterscache is a GOLDMINE for ideas. Your problem will become "which of these beauties should I choose first?"