Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What to do with my old machine? >
  • What to do with my old machine?

• What to do with my old machine?

Old 01-20-2015, 05:07 AM

At least check to see if there is someone learning to sew in your area. It would be a good beginner machine, especially for a child. Check with school, churches, and extension services or even a local quilt store to find groups that teach others to sew.
    Old 01-20-2015, 05:18 AM
    Vat

About 4 years ago I bought a new Janome. The place of purchase told me they would take off $1000.00 if I would bring a machine in for a trade. I didn't have an extra machine , so I went to a thrift store and bought one for $10.00.
    The machine didn't have to work at all, actually I didn't even open the old girl. Just carried it to the store and bought a new Janome for a $1000.00 less. Good deal ! ! !
    Old 01-20-2015, 05:21 AM
    Power Poster

Of it were me, I would find a young lady or someone in the area that would love to learn to sew or quilt but didn't have a machine and give it to them. Perhaps someone in your church or quilt guild would know someone that would be thrilled to receive it.
    Old 01-20-2015, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by hray
    About 2 years ago, my 12 year old Viking Rose (sewing and embroidery) machine started acting up--uneven stitches, and some of the touch pad buttons didn't work. Took it in to a dealer and had it tuned up, so now it sews OK, but I'm still missing the function of about half-dozen touch-buttons (these allow various stitches, access to embroidery patterns and built in lettering, etc.)

It seems it would cost a couple to several hundred dollars (at least) to have the touch-pad replaced, and still no guarantee it would fix everything.

Meanwhile, I bought a new, fancy Brother machine sewing/quilting machine (VQ3000) that I like a lot, and a relatively inexpensive Brother embroidery machine, which I've used mostly for embroidering on towels and making quilt labels.

I didn't trade in the Rose when I got the Brother. Because of a sale already in progress, I got a good deal and the dealer couldn't offer me much for the diseased Rose. But it and its accessories (like an old Amazing Box, and ancient software) are taking up space...and I don't use it...

Would you keep it?
    Donate it to Goodwill or such? (now-days they want things in good working order and I can't truly say that it is, though what stitches it DOES sew are fine.)
    Put it on Craigslist "as is"?
    Take it to the dump?
    Or...???

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Hallie in NM
    I would keep it because 1) it still works, and 2) you may be able to use for basic parts someday. Sometimes you will see posts on Craigslist where an organization is looking for one (like a charity of some sort). I recently decided to get rid of one, and I have to te say it wasn't easy. I called schools and churches, and finally found someone who could use it to make costumes for their school play. I was kind of surprised it wasn't easier to gift a working sewing machine. (I did try Craigslist for a really cheap price ($25) , and the buyer changed his mind (after I followed up). Not worth the effort.
    Old 01-20-2015, 07:13 AM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom
    You could also put it on Free Cycle. Someone might use if for parts for another machine. I wouldn't keep it, though.
    I am a HUGE proponent of Freecycle...if you don't know what it is, check freecycle.org. I have been a participant in this site for several years. I have received and given all manner of items..I think it is perfect way to avoid the over filled garbage dumps which so many people have no trouble filling....
    Old 01-20-2015, 07:51 AM

I read so many things on line, but it seems it was the message board that a woman was asking for donated things to get her started on sewing and a sewing machine was one of the things she needed. Maybe you could check on that. Again sorry if I read it some place other than on here!!
    Old 01-20-2015, 08:15 AM

Sell it on ebay as is for parts and sell the ass. on a different auction.
    Old 01-20-2015, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by memepat
    If you need it for a back up. I would keep it if not I would call your local senior center. I know here they do projects and sometimes need machines. Do what your heart tells you.
    Right, and I was thinking any local churches - they many times have sewing groups and possibly someone in a group like that could use it. Donating it would make your heart feel good. :-)
    Old 01-20-2015, 08:58 AM
    CR

If you have a daughter and she doesn't have a machine, she might like to have it for mending.
    Old 01-20-2015, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Dina
    I am not going to be any help because I would just stick it in the bottom of a closet and keep it. You never need when you might need a back up machine, even if you already have two working machines. The machine sounds like it works well enough for a back up.

Dina
    I would keep it also. I have 4 machines (only two of which I was using). I started a quilt for my grand- daughters wedding on my main machine; it started acting up so I went to my other machine, and it too started acting up so out comes my older machine. And, wouldn't you know, I got to sew one bobbins worth when it decided not to sew. OK, now what do I do. The wedding is in a week and I'm not done with it. I go to my dining room where an old machine in in a cabinet sits, one that was given to me by my friend who moved out of state. I oiled it up and got it to sew accurately. I was able to finish the quilt the night before the wedding. You never know when you will need a backup, or two or three, LOL.