Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What to do with "Satin" fabric >
  • What to do with "Satin" fabric

• What to do with "Satin" fabric

Old 06-21-2012, 08:02 AM

Default What to do with "Satin" fabric

I have a lot of "satin" fabrics from making banners, etc. It is labeled costume satin and some are just satin. They all are 100% polyester and washable. I would like to make a quilt but, in my opinion, they wouldn't work for the quilts I make. I am a traditional pattern person and don't think very well "outside the box". Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated. Will post pics if I get a project started.
    Old 06-21-2012, 08:09 AM

If you are the entrepreneur type of person, you could do AG doll princess outfits and sell them on places like ebay.
    Old 06-21-2012, 08:13 AM

Jean, this idea isn't very original or "exciting," but I have an aunt who used to make lots of wedding/bridesmaids dresses. She took the leftover satin, taffeta, silk fabrics, cut them into squares, quilted them to flannel backing using decorative stitches (SID) and used them as bed coverlets. Nothing fancy but looked nice on her guest beds. Some pieces she put to use in pillows with lace trimming. I know you'll find some use for those fabrics!
    Old 06-21-2012, 10:16 AM
    Power Poster

I like the idea of using decorative stitches!

What I would do is wash the satin and then starch it heavily before cutting (to stabilize it). My method is to mix a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water, "paint" this on the yardage using a large wall painting brush, toss in dryer, then iron with steam (although with polyester you might want to remove the yardage from dryer while still damp and use a cooler iron on it without steam). This treatment would make the satin much easier to handle, both for cutting and for piecing. I would probably cut large squares and use a half-inch seam (because satin ravels easily).

I really like the idea of quilting these squares to a flannel backing using decorative stitches. I would wash and dry the flannel a couple of times first, then use the heavy starching method on the flannel backing. I would spray baste the two layers together, then do the decorative stitching as the quilting method. Starching both top and flannel backing would practically guarantee no puckers, and the starching would likely eliminate the need for stabilizer.
    Old 06-21-2012, 10:35 AM

Why not combine the satin with matching velvets and make a traditional victorian quilt? I think those are beautiful and so comfortable as throws to cover up with on a sofa.
    Old 06-21-2012, 10:47 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by TanyaL
    Why not combine the satin with matching velvets and make a traditional victorian quilt? I think those are beautiful and so comfortable as throws to cover up with on a sofa.
    This was the first thing to come to my mind as well. 2 years ago at the Bennington quiltfest someone did a traditional victorian with lots of satin and velvet and loads of decorative hand embroidery stitches and embellishments. They even did flower applique out of satin. I am sure it was tons of fun to make and it was gorgeous to boot. Pictures are posted here http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...st-t25771.html scroll down a bit it is the 5th message on the thread (I only knew how to post 3 pictures at a time back then!)
    Old 06-21-2012, 02:43 PM

I was going to suggest a crazy quilt too. I am making a wall hanging that I will put a frame around. Lots of velvets, satins, brocades. Embroidery, beading silk ribbons and embellishments of all kinds, even a crochet glove and antique hankie.

piney
    Old 06-21-2012, 02:53 PM
    Power Poster

I think I would use 18 inch squares of the satin fabric to do QAYG squares. I would them put the squares together to do a quilt.
    Old 06-27-2012, 05:30 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Crazy quilts
    Old 06-27-2012, 06:29 PM
    Power Poster

I would do something that has large pieces and do a bigger than 1/4" seam since this fabric tends to fray easily.